I think this is my next project car

alloy

Dan, Retired old fart
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Yes I know I'm not even totally done with the nova, but my heart is with a 55. I'd trade all my project cars for a 55, including the nova.

I've offered him $17, 500. Will see if he takes it.

From what I can tell from the pics the engine/trans has been swapped. 55's didn't have a transmission cross member and had the core support brace cut out. I really don't care one bit about the engine/trans/rear axle. They will all be replaced. Thinking another LS3, and either a 4L80e or 6L80E trans, ford 9" rear, disks all around.

01-8H6A2839.jpg

The driver, and passenger door trims look odd, check the car good for rust, it may be a bigger project than you think....

I've looked closely at the pics they posted and I see a little surface rust, but nothing major. I see some idiot used a ac condenser as tranny cooler. I see some hacked stuff, like the dash cut for a different radio. But the bottom line if the lack of rust in it. Just a floor and trunk pan shipped is $4k. Then abut $3k to put it in. I'd rater spend more to get a rust free (mostly) car than deal with trying to get the car repaired and the long wait times associatete with that. I've been waiting 3 months now for my front seat for the nova, and was promised 3 weeks.

They also have this or for sale, but I see a lot of surface rust and I'd bet some of it goes deeper than that. For $2000 more I'd get the brown one.

76-8H6A2486.jpg13-8H6A3470.jpg52-8H6A3460.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet 55s ! I'm thinking get the brown one and throw some of Will's (@darkzero) barn dust on it and triple your money ! But , if you get it and fix it up , I'll be following along . :)

My comments are not positive because I have followed your Nova process and know how much trouble you have had with previously undisclosed defects and POOR workmanship.

The '55 looks like a poster child for undisclosed defects and poor workmanship. I know you 'gotta do what you 'gotta do

All mechanicals/chassis look like they've been sprayer with oil to pretend they haven't been touched lately. Got to love that shinny new chrome air cleaner. ROTFLMAO

It looks like they have sprayed some areas (like the whole trunk floor) to hide condition and make it one color.

If you plan to put an aftermarket frame under it, disregard the following comments. Art Morrison, 800-929-7188 :grin: :grin: :grin:

55 front end.jpg
It's been hit hard on passenger side front end.
Even has two different upholstery panels on the doors.
Look at the fender support brackets at rear edge of front wheel openings (between the foot well and the fender lip). Drivers side OK, passenger side not.
Bumper support present at drivers side wheel well, not at passenger side.
Frame weld repair (poorly aligned) on passenger side at center of angled brace between main frame rail and crossmember.
No oil filter.
One exhaust pipe into the torque converter/flex plate.
The other exhaust pipe cut off short.
Don't know WTH is going on with that power steering kluge.

This is a Frankenchevy and a huge project. Please don't give them any money before you go to inspect it in person.

Very nice observations. I caught the oil filet, exhaust pipe, bu didn't catch the body damage. He won't come down in price and from you you found this one is a no.

Look this one over, doesn't look as nice but don't see any hack jobs on it. I see what looks like new front coil springs, new inner fenders, maybe new fenders/fender extensions. They fenders different from side to side on the underside, but have the same patina on the outside.

Other than the outside looks this is probably a better deal considering the damage on the brown one.

Yes I had some major problems with the nova but I eventually worked through them. Tomorrow I'm taking it into longview for a going away party for my wife's boss. He's heard about the nova for a year now and tomorrow is the last day for him to see it. The guy went through their truck driving program for 6 months and the minute he graduated he took another driving job for higher pay. Kinda crappy way to do things, but my wife was just promoted to department lead because he left.

Last edited:
@alloy

I don't see anything crazy on the second one.
BIG project.
You'd have to touch and work hard to clean/prep/finish EVERYTHING.
100% new rubber, interior, probably wiring harness.
I'm just not attracted to that level of project anymore.

The frame actually looks quite good to me.
It doesn't bother me that there may be some new panels on the front end.
I do wonder why there is no passenger/front shock absorber in place?

That 3 on the floor looks really weenie (small and simple) compared to a modern 6 speed. LOL

You never get to say to me "But you said it was OK". :grin:

You mean I can't blame everything on you???? Well that sucks. :bang head: ;)

Yes it's a big project, but hopefully little or no rust repair. I like it that it has the stock seats and no one has cut the radio opening. I've found interior kits for around $2k without headliner. Headliner is $250. I found an LS3 for $3500 and a 4l80E trans will be around $2k rebuilt. Rear will be about $1200 with axles, then just need to find a center section. Of course there is wiring, brakes, driveshaft, fuel system and everything else on the car. I just may if I do get it do everything and leave the outside alone. Can you say "Rat Rod"??? I figure I'll put about $15k plus over a few years over the original purchase price.

I'm sitting here and I really don't have much left on the nova to do. If I ever get my seat back I may have to move the shifter forward which requires me to remove the trans. I guess I should think about some kind of paint on it, but I'm really not interested in doing that right now.

I'm getting bored. My transmission stuff isn't full time, I have a few parts I could put on my lathe and run them for my stock but that's about it.

The smart thing to do is to sit on my butt and watch tv all day and put the money I make on my transmissions mods in the bank and prepare for the future when I can't do this stuff anymore. I can see in a few years that will happen unfortunately. I do have my 55 2 dr wagon but it has a hit on the left quarter. The car has virtually zero rust. But even though it's a very desirable car, it's a wagon and not what I want. There is a guy that has one locally that's a total rust bucket and he wants $6k for it. I figure I can sell it and get some money back in the bank account.

I guess it comes down to asking myself, should I buy and build the car, and saying afterwards that was fun, or go nuts doing nothing. I'm not sure how long I can retain my sanity being a couch spud.

My wife is ok with either way. She can already see I'm getting antsy.

Back