I want to BUY once and CRY once

Blucllrplt

Registered
Registered
Good morning! Long time lurker, second time poster.

I'm getting more orders for a product I make and its too much for my worn out Grizzly. As I'm looking for a machine that will be a lifetime machine I don't want to spend a little less and have the machine wear out like the Grizzly.

Been looking for months for a decent used American Iron lathe but since my area does not have much heavy industry all the used ones are badly worn and to get them fixed would cost a lot in time and money, thus my search for a new model. I also don't have time to drive around and view used lathes that I see advertised in the North and Northeast.

I don't need ultra precise work, but don't want to turn out an inferior product either. The lathe will mainly be used for facing off short 2", 4", 6", 8" dia. Sch 80 and Sch 120 tubing and then beveling the ends. I then TIG weld these various short pieces to flanges and elbows to create offsets for use in oil separators. The pipes are too short for the rig welders to cut out quickly with their bevel machines and I can make the items relatively quickly cutting off the pipe in the bandsaw and facing the joints for welding.

I've got my choices down to the 1340GT and 1440GT which are the 100% made in Taiwan models and the 1440BV which I'll guess is made in China. I've bought several Powermatic woodworking tools since they offshored production to China and was very disappointed with the fit and finish for the amount of money I spent. (I have a USA made 8" Powermatic joiner that is 30 years old, works precisely and the fit, finish and castings are beautiful. I also have a Powermatic 16" planer that I bought in 2009 and made in China. Casting quality poor, cheap plastic parts and I've had to re-work the infeed and outfeed tables as they would not align)

Although I can purchase any of my choices without the rent and food money spent, I don't want to waste dollars that could be used elsewhere if the China made machine was adequate.

I'd like some owner feedback if possible as to whether or not the Taiwan made units are worth the extra money or if the standard PM lathes will hold up for at least (I hope) 20 years.

Thank you for any advice!!

Write Matt at PM, ask his opinion. He's as good as suppliers get, he won't steer you wrong.

Any of the lathes you mentioned will work. I have the 1340GT and it performs very well. It is advertised as being able to handle production (daily) use with the hardened and ground gears in the headstock. The 1440GT is advertised the same, but I'm not as familiar with it as I am with my 1340. Do you need that extra inch swing? Are there other features of the 1440GT that you need that the 1340GT doesn't have? I think the answers to these questions may help you decide. Matt will give you the straight scoop on these lathes, and will answer your questions.

The Taiwan machines will probably last longer than the Chinese machines, as the fit, finish, and quality of the castings is a bit higher. My machines will outlast me, which is why I went with them. :)

+1 to what Tom & Bill state. Me personally, if I were purchasing new, would go with the 1440.
I'm enjoying using my Birmingham and as the saying goes, sometimes bigger is better.
You might end up 'growing' into the machine.
Give Matt a shout. He's good.

I am curious what wore out on your Grizzly?

Called and spoke with Matt today. My feeling is the 1440gt will best fit my needs; just have to shake loose some extra dollars. Matt was able to drill down on my application and gave his opinion. It all came down to to chuck for the larger pieces and the best way to machine them.

The spindle bearings were getting noisy, not a lot of slop yet but did not want to have a potential breakdown. I did replace the original motor early on and haven't had trouble with the replacement I received.

Do you fly the Hawker 800? Zoomed in but couldn't see the registration clearly.

Called and spoke with Matt today. My feeling is the 1440gt will best fit my needs; just have to shake loose some extra dollars. Matt was able to drill down on my application and gave his opinion. It all came down to to chuck for the larger pieces and the best way to machine them.

That makes sense. When I saw that you work on 8" diameter pieces I was thinking the only way I could do that would be to grab it from the inside as I only have a 8" 3-jaw chuck on my 1340.

Took the plunge this morning and ordered the 1440GT. More than I wanted to spend but this should do everything I need. I’ve never been upset with myself purchasing the absolute best product I could afford so looking forward to getting the lathe setup.

Congrats! Of course we ask that you give us your impressions of the lathe when you get it. Along with lots of pics. :D

Now the wait begins... ;)

Back