I want to raise height of my lathe

PM-1440GT raised 6". I am 6'1" and it is the perfect height for me. Good rule of thumb is to have the cross travel dial at elbow height. These were made from 2" x 1/4" angle and 2" x 3/8" strap, what I had on hand.

20160918_083302.png

20160918_094135.png

20161001_183544.png

20161001_183651.png

I f one does not care about machine alignment or cutting unintended tapers, that would be a good idea.

I don't know, John. With the leveling casters you find today, wheels and a level lathe are not incompatible. A Carrymaster SLC-600 caster will support 600# per caster and raise the lathe up 4". It will allow for easy mobility if needed but will also provide a solid base that is easily leveled. If the lathe just needs to be raised then the steel bases that the guys showed is ideal. If the lathe must be mobile from time to time then I would consider Carrymaster casters myself.

My good friend recieved a 16" X 60" lathe (brand new) from a supplier here. It was waay too low. So he fabricated 6 'feet' out of 4"X4" tubing, each 4" long, with a 1/2" plate welded on top. he then raised the lathe up and placed one each under each levelling screw / foot. Solid as a rock. Easily moved if the lathe needs relocating. Strong enough for a 3800# lathe.

I don't know, John. With the leveling casters you find today, wheels and a level lathe are not incompatible. A Carrymaster SLC-600 caster will support 600# per caster and raise the lathe up 4". It will allow for easy mobility if needed but will also provide a solid base that is easily leveled. If the lathe just needs to be raised then the steel bases that the guys showed is ideal. If the lathe must be mobile from time to time then I would consider Carrymaster casters myself.
I have those on my 1400# mill. The adjusters are a PITA to get to and use (you need to jack up the machine to get the weight off the pad to adjust it), the wheels are too small to roll well for the weight and the pads are too soft for precision leveling of a lathe as they compress over time. Last time I moved my mill I used a toe jack to lift it and put the caster/feet on machine skates. Took 1/10 the time.

I have those on my 1400# mill. The adjusters are a PITA to get to and use (you need to jack up the machine to get the weight off the pad to adjust it), the wheels are too small to roll well for the weight and the pads are too soft for precision leveling of a lathe as they compress over time. Last time I moved my mill I used a toe jack to lift it and put the caster/feet on machine skates. Took 1/10 the time.

Odd. I have the SLC-300's under my 800# mill and can roll it around with one finger, then level them in about one minute with very little effort.

Back