I was slow test indicating holes on my mill

Batmanacw

Registered
Registered
So I started using my edge finder inside the hole using the dro half function to get really close really quickly. They I set up my indicator and I'm so close that I'm on center in a couple minutes. I don't know why I didn't think of using them together before. So much less fiddling.

If the hole is smaller I start with a 1/2" pointed rod to eyeball the center before I set up the test indicator.

Indicating a broken part with only half a hole works really well too.

I prefer using a co-ax by hand if you can afford one.

The big upside of this is if your poking holes with drills or using a boring head the extra length means you're indicating the work at the "Height" (Knee mill or quill height) that you will be doing your work at.

I prefer using a co-ax by hand if you can afford one.

The big upside of this is if your poking holes with drills or using a boring head the extra length means you're indicating the work at the "Height" (Knee mill or quill height) that you will be doing your work at.
I had a Blake. I gave it to my friend. A top facing Interapid works better for me.

There is no "only way". I just shared a trick that I like.

A guy on ar15.com mentioned using the test indicator to do both jobs. Put the stylist in the hole near center and take a reading on one axis and remember it, zero dro, turn 180 and hit the same number on the other side of the hole and do the 1/2 function.

I think I've seen that method before.

My collection of “centering aids:”

IMG_6954_Radiant_Photo.jpeg
Left, top to bottom:
  • Converted double-ended 3/8” end mill (part of a mixed lot)
  • Shop made 1/2”, came with (ok, rolling around inside the bottom) of a used Kennedy 526 chest
  • Two eBay finds, 3/8” x 1-3/8” & 6mm x 10mm
Center (-ish):
  • 3/4” to MT1 adapter (from RDG in England; bought so I can use Sherline tooling in my Mini-Mill)
  • MT1 27mm live center (origin forgotten)
  • R8 to MT2 adapter
  • MT2 2-1/2” bullnose live center, eBay from India
  • MT2 5/8” dead center (got before I got a MT2 long/reduced spindle live center)
I’ve used all of these at one time or another to narrow in prior to DTI like @Batmanacw and for locating center of a hole when within a couple of thou is good enough(like a hand wheel center hole with a keyway - not necessarily centered on the hand wheel to start with).

I had a Blake. I gave it to my friend. A top facing Interapid works better for me.

There is no "only way". I just shared a trick that I like.
Nothing wrong with it, just another way out of dozens.

I watched abom use the top facing indicator with an indicol and wound up getting both.

It works really well for certain situations, other situations I prefer the Blake or another method.

Hell, I’m famous for picking up holes with drill blanks ground square on the end for quick/dirty work.

Nothing wrong with it, just another way out of dozens.

I watched abom use the top facing indicator with an indicol and wound up getting both.

It works really well for certain situations, other situations I prefer the Blake or another method.

Hell, I’m famous for picking up holes with drill blanks ground square on the end for quick/dirty work.
I really love having lots of ways of getting things done. It's just an outstanding feeling.
I keep a ground 1/2" pin on my mill for eyeballing stuff.

I really love having lots of ways of getting things done. It's just an outstanding feeling.
I keep a ground 1/2" pin on my mill for eyeballing stuff.
Why did you get rid of the Blake?

I do find them to be quirky at times, but once I accepted that it’s more of a comparator than an indicator I grew to like it more.

The “Blake tick” can be disconcerting until you learn to ignore it.

Back