I was slow test indicating holes on my mill

Why did you get rid of the Blake?

I do find them to be quirky at times, but once I accepted that it’s more of a comparator than an indicator I grew to like it more.

The “Blake tick” can be disconcerting until you learn to ignore it.
It had a slight tick in the dial. It didn't like how tall it was without power feed on the knee.

Has anyone seen the new ( edge finders ) by HAIMER. I have been eyeballing them but don’t know much about coaxial indicators. Not to mention the price.

I was anal about selecting a Blake and bought one without observable play (for now). It's my favorite method.

No love for optical centering scopes? Kind of a PITA to put your eye in the objective, but quick otherwise.

What is your process for identifying the X,Y vertexes of a bore hole using the edge finder? There is definitely room for discussion there.

I was anal about selecting a Blake and bought one without observable play (for now). It's my favorite method.

No love for optical centering scopes? Kind of a PITA to put your eye in the objective, but quick otherwise.

What is your process for identifying the X,Y vertexes of a bore hole using the edge finder? There is definitely room for discussion there.
The edge finder will get you pretty close just eyeballing center to start. It will get you within a few thousandths just doing a quick and dirty job. Then the indicator is cake.

Looks like they would be cool to have but..... Holy Moly the price is up there!

Looks like they would be cool to have but..... Holy Moly the price is up there!

Reading his post I thought they might have come out with something new.

I have this, it mostly rides the toolbox express, but when you need it it’s nice to have.

Regarding the tick, we did some testing at work using three co-ax indicators, two Blake’s and an off brand.

They all easily got us down to within a half on a pre made “known” test piece. The Blake’s were usually good for a couple more ten hs, but that was highly user dependent.

The biggest difference was in ease of use and the angle of the foot ( the rotating part that touches the body) on these plays a big part in how sensitive they are.

Now the center punch probe for these, well that’s a different animal as it has an extra hinges that can cause frustration in getting a good reading.

The frustrations with this went away for me after learning you A: need a really sharp point on your punch, and B: just learn to love it.

If your punch used in making your punch mark is at all dull or rounded, you wind up with the center punch prone skittering around on the edge of the bottom of the mark and not really settling in on a reading.

Last edited:
Back