Ideas for machinable vise jaw patterns?

Djl338

Registered
Registered
I have a set of aluminum jaws for my Kurt dx6, and was trying to get some ideas for cutting a pattern for “ general purpose” machining of parts. Was thinking a rounded section thru the center end-to-end but my brain ran out of ideas/steam after that , anyone have a pattern I can plagiarize?
thanks
d.

I would leave it flat for maximum contact.

True, the bolt holes are counterbored on both sides so they’re flip-able, so it’s possible to keep a flat side and a grippy side.

Do not use a rounded section or you are limited to that diameter of part. Cut a groove 45° on a side lengthwise and another 1 or 2 vertical. this will hold round parts with 3 points of contact either horizontal or vertical for a nice secure grip.

That makes perfect sense, I like the idea of multiple gripping surfaces...tomorrow’s project!
thank you
d.

A set of jaws with a dovetail cut at the top that holds parts at that depth without parallels.
Usually not full dovetail but smaller angle, or straight cut and relieved at the bottom possibly with a dovetail cutter.

I like that idea, not using parallels is a huge plus, good way to hold smaller parts with a good grip

not using parallels is a huge plus
I am curious why being able to avoid using parallels is such a big deal. I find them quick, easy and effective. Not to mention that I put a ledge in the jaws of the vice, I am sure it would never be at the optimum height. :)

Along with what flyinfool said cutting the v's. I like even numbered of two to three each side with recorded distances from one end when I cut them. If ever need a set of some round parts with flats or features you ll have numbers to work with in one set up. Also you might just want to cut six more evenly spaced v's saving having to cut the six you already have. You just never know. Stamp the numbers on the bottom. Even better when you hit the same depth!

I have a set of step jaws in my vise most of the time. I also have a v-jaw I bought from CDCO. Most of the time I don't bother mounting it, just use it like a V block.

Back