If it works.....

Oil is what I have used since 1978..... the dust itself isn't really the problem is not cleaning it up BEFORE moving the slides.
I have seen many materials where machines including plastics.
Especially in the cast iron shops I would "turn up the pilers" so the oil would be pushing grit out.
We also made spacers for a second set of way wipers, so they were double stacked.
I agree an ounce of prevention but let's remember adequate prevention. If you want to build wrap your machine before running it as a hobbies that is your choice it the industry for which this forum is named we know and expect machine wear as anyone expects wear in a new house,car etc.
Minimizing it is up to the owner through maintenance and whomever he chooses to run the machine. I have two classic vehicles that are probably 70% finished as far as restoration.....I drive them anytime my schedule and rhe weather permit, they are both pampered and run hard.....Merry Christmas to all. This is a great forum with a great bunch of guys. I appreciate the variety of talent and ideas.Thank You

For

Back