If you are a vet . . . . .

I'm not a vet but whenever someone chooses to share their service with me I do thank them. I've had many different reactions but none negative, it's your choice to share your history and my choice to acknowledge you for it.

My dad served in Korea and he never wore a hat, shirt or anything else to tell the story. Although he walked with a limp he always stood tall.

John

My dad served five years in WW2. Sicily, Italy, France and Holland.
He never left the front and never wanted thanks. Only for people to appreciate their democracy and be tolerant of differences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I am retired US Coast Guard / Air Force (22 years) I don’t want anybody saying “thank for your service”
it was just a job.
I had hard time keeping a job after I got out of the Air Force (1965-1972) so I joined the Coast Guard (1975-1990),
so when it came time to retire I would have medical and a small income.

My dad and uncle served. My best friend was in country during the Tet offensive and 3 other high school buddies were Marines. My neighbor behind me was a Ranger and did tours of Iraq. Another neighbor was a medic in Vietnam. To a man they don’t want to talk about their time in the military and are either neutral or irked when somebody says “thank you for your service”. Nobody who’ve served would say that to another. Nobody used to say that until recently and it seems about as heartfelt as saying “have a nice day”. When somebody shares they were in the military I do like I’ve always done asked what they did and can’t help but be impressed but leave it to them whether they want to share more.

I just wish there was something we could do for the 22 poor souls every single day who served and now can’t deal so they take their own lives.

It's a funny thing that changes with time. I joined the Army for my own advancement. It was a self-focused choice, I would get paid and see the world, and get a fully-funded education on the back side. When I was a kid, I was drawn to playing Army, liked wheels and mud, so I wanted to join up while I still could. Then 9/11 happened. The mighty 18th Infantry Regiment came straight out of Kosovo and went to Iraq. I lost a lot of friends there, and had the $h!t scared out of me enough to to cause some problems in civilian life. I don't feel like their sacrifices counted for anything, and I feel like the ten years of therapy was an unnecessary waste due to the moral nature of the "war". Sometimes it bums me out enough to not know how to respond to thanks for my service. It feels like a waste. America is no better off after the action that followed 9/11, and certainly no more "free" (whatever that means). Some days it feels good to hear a thanks and feel some appreciation. If my war was a hero's war, like WWII, maybe it would be different, but Iraq was where American soldiers played errand boy for oil men and Saudi sheikhs as mothers cried over their lost ones at home while pumping $3 gas into their XL SUVs. Like I said, it's a funny thing. Sorry if I offended anyone. It's more complicated for me if nothing else.

Our people who are in the military, and those who have served ALL made/are making sacrifices, some gave more than others. When in the military it is SERVICE BEFORE SELF. You served for me because I did not serve, and I get the benefits of that service. I think in general, the people who serve in our military do not do it for the recognition of "I served", it is something that was done for whatever reasons. To be the greatest, people are needed at all levels of expertise, without the enlisted, the officers are nothing. Without the Chiefs, and Master Sargent's(NCOs) the Officers would not know where anything is, but we still need the officers to make it all work.
When I tell someone "thank you for serving" I am sincere, I don't care in what capacity it was/is. When I was brought up, if someone told you "thank you" it was polite to say "your welcome" I can tell if you mean it or not, that part is up to you.
Sorry for being long winded.....

I am retired US Coast Guard / Air Force (22 years) I don’t want anybody saying “thank for your service”
it was just a job.
I had hard time keeping a job after I got out of the Air Force (1965-1972) so I joined the Coast Guard (1975-1990),
so when it came time to retire I would have medical and a small income.
Then you have a better chance than most of answering my go to bar bet question.
There are 7 uniformed services in the United States. Name them.

You would have gotten my money....

Back