If you had 20 hours free time in a machine shop ................

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
What would you make ? :dunno: I'm fresh out of ideas for the next two nights .

Well, none of my ideas would apply...
  • Complete DRO install
  • Organize taps
  • Practice threading

Things that I need to do.
Clean chips from all of the nooks and crannies around my machines.
Build a backsplash for the lathe.
Sharpen a few hundred drill bits.
Finish mounting an optic on a Winchester 1400.
Modify some machinist Jacks.
I have an old underpowered Craftsman bench top drill press that I want to cut a new taper on the quill to take a tiny Jacobs chuck I have.

Since you were not specific - in A machine shop, or MY machine shop. In A machine shop, cam jack knurler, probably out of 4140 or A2, and heat treated, then surface ground. MY machine shop - still digging out of the tornado and need to inventory tools, spider for the headstock, take the old Craftsman apart and figure out why the spindle axis is up and away from the tail.... And put the wood working tools back together since the rebuild is going to start pretty soon. If this virus thing shuts the plant down, I may have to remember all the other projects. This place can give you more ideas than I have time for.

Not specific to my shop , but in at work . Just a slow night . I did make a tool for my co-worker that he'll need in the future , he can now store it in his box .

Build yourself a taper (sine) micrometer.

View attachment 317562
Oh? Is there good plans for one of those anywhere? I'd love one (I saw Kieth Rucker use one!) but haven't found them for sale anywhere. I actually have a spare Starrett head, but wouldn't mind making one if there are decent plans out there...

I'm making a taper attachment for my little Myford lathe. Got most of it filmed, so I'll throw it up on YouTube soon.
I'm also considering milling down the top slide so it can take a QC tool holder with decent size tools. I bought a Hemmingway kit, but it hangs over the side of the top slide so far the setup anything but rigid.
I also fancy having a go at this as my bridgeport spindle brake is lacking its ball:

Hope that leads you to some inspiration :)
I think we need more project write ups around here!

Back