If you had 20 hours free time in a machine shop ................

I'm thinking ....................................dumpster clean out . Going to be a slow night in here for the 2 of us .
Would that be bring things IN from the dumpster or putting things in it ?? :)

Wow - thank you for sharing that. An excellent video. I would not have realised that making a ball end that way was possible. I look forward to watching your other videos.

I have about 2 dozen parts to make for a steam engine so I know what I'll be doing :)

Clean and organize the shop... :(
Two days and I didn't get anywhere with it.
Did make some progress in the 'tractor' shed though.
weather has turned colder today. 84° two days ago, 53° currently.

20 hours unmolested???? i don't know what that would even be like.
someone's always jerking my chain for something or other.

but if i had 20 hrs solid alone,
i'd be scraping lathe parts :grin:

Wow - thank you for sharing that. An excellent video. I would not have realised that making a ball end that way was possible. I look forward to watching your other videos.

Hadn't occurred to me either. Wish it was my channel, he's an excellent machinist!

Oh? Is there good plans for one of those anywhere? I'd love one (I saw Kieth Rucker use one!) but haven't found them for sale anywhere. I actually have a spare Starrett head, but wouldn't mind making one if there are decent plans out there...
Haven't seen any plans. Might have seen one on eBay a couple years ago, but IIRC it was wickedly expensive. I've been working on something on my CAD system. It's basically a good, stout cast iron frame, a short (1") sine bar, mike head, and some kind of variable height anvil. Making sure the anvil stays true is probably the biggest challenge.

Would that be bring things IN from the dumpster or putting things in it ?? :)
Bringing things IN of course . :encourage: Made a couple taper wrenches and two die setter gages tonight .

I think in the absence of deeper inspiration, I would set up to make a bunch of QC tool holders.
You could save enough to think of it as making money. :)

Back