iGaging Absolute DRO installation on Clausing 8520

Terrywerm

Registered
Registered
I recently purchased a set of iGaging Absolute DROs for my Clausing 8520 mill. I had them on hand for a few weeks before I got the chance to install them, and now, a couple of weeks later yet, I am posting photos of how I installed them.

Keep in mind that the photos are of my initial installation, and I plan to make better spacers, as well as one read head plate where I made a hole in the wrong place. My apologies for not cleaning up my mill before taking the photos, but I took them immediately after I completed the installation, with only basic cleaning being done before taking the photos.

I started with the X readout, which required a 24" rail. The X travel on this mill is only 15.125", but with the table being 24" long, I still had to cut the rail down to an appropriate length. The X axis was the only rail that I had to trim, and it was easily accomplished with a flex shaft tool and a small cutoff wheel. By mounting the rail with the plastic strip facing out, and the cable from the read head sticking up, and the origin set to zero when the table is all the way to the right, the numbers will climb as the table is moved to the left. In order to leave room behind the rail so that the read head could be mounted to the existing stop block, 1/2" thick spacers were placed between the rail and the table.
X Rail Mount.jpg

A simple piece of 1/8" x 1/2" flat stock was used to mount the read head to the stop block.
X Head Mount.jpg

Y travel on this mill is only 5.125" and it was done next, using a 6" DRO with the rail flipped over so that the plastic strip is facing the knee, and the cable exiting the bottom of the read head. When the table is moved as far as possible away from the column, and the origin is set to zero, the numbers will climb as the table is moved toward the column. This may seem backwards to some, but it works well for me. I put spacers 5/16" thick between the knee and the rail. This allowed the read head to mount to the side of the saddle with a simple flat plate. The one in the photo is missing a screw. For some silly reason I drilled the two bottom holes the same distance apart as the top ones. Oops. Gotta make that plate over again.

Here is the rail mounting for the Y axis.
Y Rail Mount.jpg

And the read head mounting.
Y Head Mount.jpg

The Z axis travels 11.625", and a 12" DRO did the trick here. This is the one I dreaded the most due to the sloping shape of the side of the column, but this proved to be quite easy to get around, but it took some time. The bottom of the rail was mounted at the height shown in the photo, with the mounting screw at about the same elevation as the bottom part of the "G" in Clausing. This position was determined in sort of a by guess and by gosh method, based on where the read head was mounted. I chose to mount the read head to the existing holes on the side of the knee. This allowed enough clearance for the Y axis read head to pass, and also allowed access to the oiler for the knee gibs without giving the DRO a bath in oil. There is a spacer 1.25" thick between the knee and the plate that mounts the read head. This spacer was made partially from 3/4" square tubing, which allowed for mounting the tube to the knee, then the remaining spacers and the read head bracket were fastened to the square tube. The rail was mounted with the plastic strip facing the knee, with the cable exiting from the rear of the read head. If the knee is placed at the bottom, and the origin is set to zero, the numbers will climb as the knee is raised. The bottom end of the rail has no spacers, but the top of the rail has a spacer 0.750" thick.

Z axis upper rail mount
Z Rail Mount.jpg

Z axis read head and lower rail mounts
Z Head Mount.jpg

Last but not least, I mounted the readouts to the right side of the column and placed ID stickers on them. My one son and his daughter are learning how to use the mill, so simply putting X,Y, and Z on them was not going to be enough. A quick explanation of what X. Y, and Z are is included.
DRO readout mounting.jpg

This entire project was completed in about six hours from start to finish, so it was not all that bad! I still need to mount a piece of aluminum angle to the front of the table to cover the head and rail for the X axis, and I should do something for the Y axis also, but for now I am happy just to have them mounted and usable!

X Rail Mount.jpg X Head Mount.jpg Y Head Mount.jpg Y Rail Mount.jpg DRO readout mounting.jpg Z Head Mount.jpg Z Rail Mount.jpg

Hi Terry
Great job on the DRO's. I have been thinking about putting a set on my Clausing lathe. They are out of 6" units can you cut these with out any ill affects? Like could I cut down a 12" to fit my cross slide?
Again nice job I like it You will love the DRO on the mill. I have a set of DRO Pro's on my mill don't know how I got along with out them.
CH

COMachinist, I'm pretty positive the scales can be cut to size.
Were you planning on the Absolute series or the magnetic ?
At igaging (http://www.igaging.com/), which has the best price I could find, there can be a big price difference between the 6" and 12" depending on which way you go.
For the magnetic, I see 6" - $34, 12" - $39.99. Not too big a difference.
Absolute model, 6" - $55.19. 12" - $82.79. Not horrible, but almost $30 difference. Could go a long way toward another scale if you're planning on a 2 axis DRO for your lathe.
Igaging store located at http://www.igagingstore.com/?Click=7 or just click "Where to Buy" on the igaging site.
Not sure where you were shopping, but igaging store has sale currently with those prices. Doesn't say how long sale is.

Hey Jpig
Thanks for the link. I had not shopped there I saw them on Amazon. I get free shipping as prime customer. They had great prices also but it looks like the link is a better way to go.
Thanks again
CH

Yes, the iGaging DROs can be cut to any length desired, in fact it is necessary to cut one to length for the X axis on the 8520. You need a 24" scale to cover the X travel of 15.125" but the total length of the 24" scale is something like 27", too long to fit on the 24" table.

I used to use a mill that had DRO on just the X and Y axis' and always disliked the fact that there was not a DRO on the Z axis. Once I got my own mill I soon realized how much I used to depend on the DROs and it became a top priority to get something for my mill. It also soon became apparent that I would need to buy scales that could be cut down easily, as nothing the right length is commercially available to fit my machine. Glass scales can be cut, but from what I've read it can be a tricky undertaking, so I wanted to avoid them. I would have loved to go with the DROPros magnetic scales, 3 axis for the mill, but that setup cost more than I paid for my mill and I had to find a more inexpensive option for the time being. Eventually a DROPro setup may find a home here, but for now the budget will only allow the iGaging units.

TW, can I ask for a ballpark dollar value for this installation? I'd like to do something like this also. TIA :think1:

I would have loved to go with the DROPros magnetic scales, 3 axis for the mill, but that setup cost more than I paid for my mill and I had to find a more inexpensive option for the time being. Eventually a DROPro setup may find a home here, but for now the budget will only allow the iGaging units.

i recently purchased a set of igaging absolute dros for my clausing 8520 mill. I had them on hand for a few weeks before i got the chance to install them, and now, a couple of weeks later yet, i am posting photos of how i installed them.

Keep in mind that the photos are of my initial installation, and i plan to make better spacers, as well as one read head plate where i made a hole in the wrong place. My apologies for not cleaning up my mill before taking the photos, but i took them immediately after i completed the installation, with only basic cleaning being done before taking the photos.

I started with the x readout, which required a 24" rail. The x travel on this mill is only 15.125", but with the table being 24" long, i still had to cut the rail down to an appropriate length. The x axis was the only rail that i had to trim, and it was easily accomplished with a flex shaft tool and a small cutoff wheel. By mounting the rail with the plastic strip facing out, and the cable from the read head sticking up, and the origin set to zero when the table is all the way to the right, the numbers will climb as the table is moved to the left. In order to leave room behind the rail so that the read head could be mounted to the existing stop block, 1/2" thick spacers were placed between the rail and the table.
View attachment 84724

a simple piece of 1/8" x 1/2" flat stock was used to mount the read head to the stop block.
View attachment 84725

y travel on this mill is only 5.125" and it was done next, using a 6" dro with the rail flipped over so that the plastic strip is facing the knee, and the cable exiting the bottom of the read head. When the table is moved as far as possible away from the column, and the origin is set to zero, the numbers will climb as the table is moved toward the column. This may seem backwards to some, but it works well for me. I put spacers 5/16" thick between the knee and the rail. This allowed the read head to mount to the side of the saddle with a simple flat plate. The one in the photo is missing a screw. For some silly reason i drilled the two bottom holes the same distance apart as the top ones. Oops. Gotta make that plate over again.

Here is the rail mounting for the y axis.
View attachment 84727

and the read head mounting.
View attachment 84726

the z axis travels 11.625", and a 12" dro did the trick here. This is the one i dreaded the most due to the sloping shape of the side of the column, but this proved to be quite easy to get around, but it took some time. The bottom of the rail was mounted at the height shown in the photo, with the mounting screw at about the same elevation as the bottom part of the "g" in clausing. This position was determined in sort of a by guess and by gosh method, based on where the read head was mounted. I chose to mount the read head to the existing holes on the side of the knee. This allowed enough clearance for the y axis read head to pass, and also allowed access to the oiler for the knee gibs without giving the dro a bath in oil. There is a spacer 1.25" thick between the knee and the plate that mounts the read head. This spacer was made partially from 3/4" square tubing, which allowed for mounting the tube to the knee, then the remaining spacers and the read head bracket were fastened to the square tube. The rail was mounted with the plastic strip facing the knee, with the cable exiting from the rear of the read head. If the knee is placed at the bottom, and the origin is set to zero, the numbers will climb as the knee is raised. The bottom end of the rail has no spacers, but the top of the rail has a spacer 0.750" thick.

Z axis upper rail mount
View attachment 84730

z axis read head and lower rail mounts
View attachment 84729

last but not least, i mounted the readouts to the right side of the column and placed id stickers on them. My one son and his daughter are learning how to use the mill, so simply putting x,y, and z on them was not going to be enough. A quick explanation of what x. Y, and z are is included.
View attachment 84728

this entire project was completed in about six hours from start to finish, so it was not all that bad! I still need to mount a piece of aluminum angle to the front of the table to cover the head and rail for the x axis, and i should do something for the y axis also, but for now i am happy just to have them mounted and usable!

super installation on the dro . . . Very compact

TW, can I ask for a ballpark dollar value for this installation? I'd like to do something like this also. TIA :think1:

The DROPro 3 axis system runs about $1200 but the iGaging setup using one each of the 6", 12", and 24" units cost me under $250 shipped to my door.

I purchased them through a gentleman that is a member here, but he has retired from selling tools and equipment since then. Grizzly currently carries the same units at about the same price.

Nice Job Terry!
You will enjoy the improved accuracy of the readouts. Have fun making chips!

Thanks for the info. 300 bucks is do-able.... 1200 won't be for a while!:whistle:

Back