iGaging Absolute DRO installation on Clausing 8520

There is a Google+ Community devoted to TouchDRO. Feature suggestions are often posted there. Sorry for no link. I'm on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI:
For anyone using igagind scales for a DRO, some people may have issues with electromagnetic feedback from motors, lights, etc, causing the scale displays to jump around.
This is due to the fact that they don't come with shielded cables. From their website, they plan on adding a shielded cable option to their Absolute scale line in the future.
For now, you can find replacement shielded cables here: http://www.dcables.net/. Just put R20560 in the site search bar. This was the only way I could find them on the site.
These cables are a little thicker than the OEM cables and you will have to grind down the insulation a little on the plug heads, but will work.Igaging scale use a male mini B to male mini B plug connector and are extremely hard to find. Dcables.net is the only place I could find them.

Have done the install and the everything works great except the X axis (24 inch unit) seems to have a "wondering display" after it is turned on. I power the display up and about 20 seconds after it powers up the display starts to increase and decrease even though the table is not being moved or even touched. This occurs if the mill motor is running or not. The Y and Z axis units seem to work great. Do I have a faulty unit, did cutting the 24" unit create a problem or is there some check I might do. I have changed the batteries in the display thinking a low battery might cause an issue but it made no difference:thinking:

did you take the "read head" off the scale and get it reversed when you put it back on ? ? ?

did you take the "read head" off the scale and get it reversed when you put it back on ? ? ?

It would appear that is exactly what I did. Took the reading head off to cut the scale and must have mixed it up. Slid the scale of and rotated it end for end; slid it back in and now the display functioning as it should. Thank you davidh for your words of wisdom.

very helpful thanks, a lot like my Burke Millrite that needs these

The DROPro 3 axis system runs about $1200 but the iGaging setup using one each of the 6", 12", and 24" units cost me under $250 shipped to my door.

I purchased them through a gentleman that is a member here, but he has retired from selling tools and equipment since then. Grizzly currently carries the same units at about the same price.

terry, I'm back in it again. i got a boatload of both imaging and absolute scales just after the first of the year. . . . .

Good Job on the DROs! Time and money well spent.

I have the typical iGauging DROS from Grizzly on my lathe and mill, on all axis. I haven't done any research on the "Absolute" model. Can you provide a brief description of the difference? I could research it for myself, but I'll bet someone else may be thinking the same thing. Maybe I should consider upgrading someday?

Rick

rick you can go here and look around and see the specs. there is not much more information than what i've shown

Have you tried swapping plugs see if problem follows sender or read out unit

Have done the install and the everything works great except the X axis (24 inch unit) seems to have a "wondering display" after it is turned on. I power the display up and about 20 seconds after it powers up the display starts to increase and decrease even though the table is not being moved or even touched. This occurs if the mill motor is running or not. The Y and Z axis units seem to work great. Do I have a faulty unit, did cutting the 24" unit create a problem or is there some check I might do. I have changed the batteries in the display thinking a low battery might cause an issue but it made no difference:thinking:

terry, I'm back in it again. i got a boatload of both imaging and absolute scales just after the first of the year. . . . .

Just can't keep a good man down, eh? ;)

It is good to know that you have them available again. I sure like the ones that I got from you!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like a pair of DROs for my lathe and another setup for my "future" mill hopefully before David runs out.

Back