I'm A Retired Machinist And A...

I have a question for the moderators or any member that may know the answer.

My cousin has sent me several pictures of that old round ram J head Bridgeport and of the Carroll-Jamieson lathe that I would like to post here for the members to evaluate. My question is: Which sub forum should I post them in? Can I just post them as a reply to my thread here in the Q&A forum or would somewhere else be more appropriate? Thanks.

ETA
I had originally thought the lathe to be a 16 x 72, but after seeing the new pictures she sent me, it appears that the bed is 72"long, so I'm guessing it's a 16 x 60 between centers...

Treetop,
Post them in this thread since your thread started by mentioning the two machines.
Ken

I had originally thought the lathe to be a 16 x 72, but after seeing the new pictures she sent me, it appears that the bed is 72"long, so I'm guessing it's a 16 x 60 between centers...

That would make it a 42" between centers with a 72" long bed.

If you ever get bored and want to see some machines cutting iron, I know of a couple shops over in the Navasota area that I might can get you in, to get the smelling buds back in shape!

Treetop & All,
I went to an auction preview today. 120 mile round trip on my motorcycle. I thought I'd share the picture below of a Cincinnati vertical mill. Sorry I didn't get the data plate. Be glad that none of you have to move that one. The white square in the middle of the picture is my clipboard.

CINCINNATI VERTICAL MILL.jpg

I thought I'd share the picture ... of a Cincinnati vertical mill.

Wow! That is a massive machine.
You didn't bring it back with you on the bike? ;)

Thanks for sharing the picture.
-brino

Better make sure your residential electric service is capable of powering that old 3-phase iron. You'd need a pretty large VFD for a 16" lathe.

Back