I'm Interested in adding a 4 jaw independent chuck to my Logan 210

Justjoe

Registered
Registered
Has anybody any suggestions on finding a good 4 jaw independent chuck for my Logan 210. My machine runs very good it would be a shame to put her on the back burner because lack of tooling and chucking. Id very interested in adding any tooling to it. If you have a great source for a new chuck's or other tooling that will fit it please let me know. Thanks Mont

You can save searches on eBay for those items, or just "Logan Lathe" in general like I have. I get email notices all the time for those.
But what type of tooling are you looking for? And what type of metal are you working with most of the time?

Good thing about a 4 jaw is it doesn't need to be super accurate since you're always centering your work anyway. In this case an inexpensive import should be fine.

A 4 jaw is a critical piece for any lathe IMHO, you can make lots of other tooling with it too.

John

One thing to be cautious of. I can't remember off the top of my head if a 200 spindle is a 1-1/8" X8 tpi or not, which is both the same as a 10" Logan 800 series lathe and the South Bend 9".

A chuck is supposed to go all the way over the non-threaded part of the spindle and "seat" or "register" on the lip of the spindle next to the head stock. Not stop going on the spindle when the threads end. The 10" Logan Lathes, 800 series, have a longer spindle than some other lathes that have the same 1-1/8" X 8 tpi. So some back plates machined for a different lathe will stop shallow. Logan mentions this on their web site but I didn't think about it until after I had a problem and was learning about how back plates are fitted to a chuck. This means if the space between the back of the backing plate and threads is too shallow, the back of the chuck doesn't register on the spindle flat. The chuck will register at the end of the threads and not be square to the spindle.

Learned this when I was trying to figure out why I was having so much trouble with the 3 jaw that came with my lathe, Wrong back plate. Only way to "fix" the back plate is to sacrifice some threads so it will seat on the spindle register/flat. Too many irons in the fire, set aside for some other day.

I did a quick check, my Logan 4 jaw has ~ .349" between the back plate registration and the threads.
What I "assume" to be a back plate for a SB or similar only has .201" between the back plate registration and the threads.

Others may want to pull some measurements and chime in so you will be able to check with eBay sellers.

All that said, Take a look at Shars. You may find the price more reasonable than you thought when weighed against what has to be checked.

Ron

Shars and ebay sound like a great plan, Ill be sure to measure the thread depth on my 3 jaw. As far as tooling I like to find a Logan steady rest.
Mont

I think that the spindle thread sizes mentioned should all read 1-1/2"-8 instead of 1-1/8"-8. OK. I edited them.

Last edited:
My bad! Yes, I made a typo! I have a steady rest, but wanted a traveling rest. After watching eBay, was just as well off getting one from Scott. I think the steady is a LOT more from Scott.

You can use Prussian Blue, or work very fast with Dykem, to see if you are getting registration contact.

Ron

Being the cheap old buzzard that I am, I waited (months) to find a chuck with a 1-1/2X8 back plate on eBay. If I had been willing to spend a little more, the back plate and chuck could have been acquired separately, either from the same vendor or different. Mounting a 4 jaw independant makes a good project for a novice, the chuck is not so critical.

As mentioned above, registration to the spindle flange is the really critical part. That is a function of the backing plate. The chuck just bolts on. My machine is a (Atlas built) Craftsman 12X36. (101.27440) The spindle nose is fairly short. When I fitted the original (OEM??) 3 jaw to a different machine, I had to make a collar to allow for proper seating. What I was after was to have the two machines interchangable. The 4 jaw from eBay was from a Craftsman machine, so fitted right up.

The salient point is to find the chuck you like and a backplate that fits your machine and mate up the two. The backplate should be at or near the proper size to fit the chuck, of course. But they can be machined to the exact size if needed. Too small is the only restriction there. I haven't found a backplate stretcher yet. . .

I have a wire stretcher and a pipe(conduit) stretcher for doing electrical work. But entered the maching field too late to grab one. Just have to make my own, I guess.

Back