I'm learning,,,,what's not working

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a mystery bar from Dave, I thought it might be some kind of stainless steel, I've had it for a couple of months, and zero rust. I have been trying to see if I can turn it, and it has been eating my lunch every try. I tried a magnet, yowza, it stuck tight.:cautious: I spent time today messing with it, a file does manage to take off some of a flared end, but with effort though. I was able to get results with Super-MoMax M42 nothing more than .005 made strings depending on the entry angle feed, and speed it would make strings, and, or the strings would burn up. I tried 10*, and 15* samples. Next was Crucible T15 @ 10* (all nose radii were as ground) this would actually turn more than .005, but it was singing. Again this was trying entry angle, feed, and RPM. I have no idea what carbide insert to try, but I stuck an insert I had for cast iron on, not impressive but it did do something. So I have spent a bunch of time learning what not right, looks, and sounds like.:grin: I ran out of time so this is what the perpetrator looks like. RPMs were 650 to 1100 each try.

How you like that piece of mysterium Mike ? As for cutting it , your radius is too large . If I remember correctly it may have been 416SS .

No radius, and honed. Does 416 have a solid attraction to a magnet? Never mind,the insert has a radius, but not the HSS

416 was the first free machining stainless steel. It is a heat treatable chromium stee l with excellent machinability and non-galling characteristics. The alloy is magnetic in all conditions.
I'm not having the luck I should be having then.... :(

Last edited:
Could be hardened but should still be easy to machine.

It kinda has me worried, I did try .010-.015 doc to see if I could get under work hardening. The best I could get on all tries was strings of different colors. M42 was the only 10*-15* tool attempt though.

Mike . I stand corrected after thinking what I sent you . THAT IS A PIECE OF HARDENED THOMPSON ROD ! :grin:

I think the flat bar stock was 416 . :)

Why I otta.....I think that's hard, I'm gonna look it up

Why I otta.....I think that's hard, I'm gonna look it up

Oh , it's hard , but it is machinable . I have to make our roller shafts out of it in here .

Back