I'm learning,,,,what's not working

HSS, or inserts? This has 0 rust, the other bar in the box is rusting well. My quick glance shows them to use SS also, not sure what type, this piece is magnetic.

The bar was definately 416 which will rust . And that round stock was definatly Thompson Rod . Gotta use carbide .

Which one for my holder?

I'll post a few pics when I get home . This nightshift is killing me after only 1 night . :big grin:

Ha, I'm going down now, numbers would be good...

Mike . I stand corrected after thinking what I sent you . THAT IS A PIECE OF HARDENED THOMPSON ROD ! :grin:
-Hehe, that's what I first thought when I saw the picture and how you've mentioned in the past that you'd scored or had a bunch of Thompson Rod.

LOL on the flared end(like getting hammered) is where I was having trouble trying to machine it initially, so I got out the file. It did take down the majority, but it was not having an easy time, and there was still some distortion that did finally get flat. Another interesting note was that it would not face worth beans. I'm sure Mikey, and others would have had better results, but"experience is something you get right after you needed it"

Hah, Mikey would be using a CBN insert! Linear shafting is a bear to machine until you get under the case hardening as noted, Mike, and even then its good steel so you need the right tools. HSS is definitely not the tool for this stuff.

Back