I'm learning,,,,what's not working

I have these holders, are there inserts that will fit? I see prices are substantial for the inserts for this type of application. Also I got these VPGA 442W 2 in a lot it has a 1/32 NR. What is there intended purpose, I don't have a holder for them, maybe I should?

No pics today Mike . I got off this morning and my eyes weren't open very long after making it home . I have a box of inserts at home ( we don't have them in here at work ) including Ceratips and coated Valenites , Carboloys etc . I still haven't rounded up all the tools which hold them because I knew I would bring them into work and blow thru MY inserts for the company .

I use what they have in here to machine this stuff . All carbide turning tools , end mills and thin bits for the snap ring grooves . I always throw a large feed at this stuff as it will rub and chatter like crazy . There's alot of material out there that is worse than this stuff though .

( But I can't think of any at the moment . ) :grin:

Sounds like day shift agrees with you. I can decipher most of the inserts lettering, and numbers, But I'm not finding references for type of material they are intended for. HSS has a list for hardness, and uses that I like.

Valenite would most likely send you their " ready reference " book if you contacted them . I thought I had one in here at work but they must be home . This little book will tell you most anything you need to know .

I'll try looking around.

I'll root thru the drawers in here again . :grin:

I found it ! :big grin: That's pretty un-believable for me finding anything in the box in here . :p

Pic coming by phone . :encourage:

Will different year reference books have the same info? I found 1976 on ebay, and Amazon has a current version. I'm waiting for latheinserts.com to call me back.
I did the Tsubosan file test, and get a slight mar at HRC60, and it just scratches at HRC 65. I have to look up the proper procedure for this test.

Back