I'm switching from Dykem to a Magic Marker

Mine's a bout 5 years old but IIRC, solid cone-shaped spray pattern .

I manage to destroy my magic markers really quickly... they seem to get oil on the marker pretty quickly, and just stop being able to write anymore. I keep considering the spray-on-dykem, but like the control of the brush.

I also use the copper sulfate formula now and then. Takes heat better.

Be careful with the acetone on your epoxy floor - it could damage the epoxy.

I've used both methods, but I find that the Dykem holds up better than a marker. I just wish that they would go back to the metal can instead of the plastic bottle. I find the plastic bottle gets brittle and gives way after a while, This goes for the brush inside, too. I've had the plastic one "disappear" into the fluid.

I had the same thing happen but with red Dykem. It looked like a scene out of a horror movie on my floor. Bright red splatters. I have an epoxy/urethane floor and tried every solvent I had but none worked very well. After 2 years it is still there but it is not quite as noticable and I am getting used to seeing it. The best thing I have found is to try to slow down and pay more attention to what I am doing. Sometimes it works other times not so much.

The Dykem plastic bottle and brush arrangement is awful. The gasket does not adhere well to the cap and falls off or sticks to the bottle neck. The brush delivers way more liquid than I want. Once splayed, the brush catches on the bottle opening and spatters. Dykem works great but their packaging seriously needs improvement.

I had the same thing happen but with red Dykem. It looked like a scene out of a horror movie on my floor. Bright red splatters. I have an epoxy/urethane floor and tried every solvent I had but none worked very well. After 2 years it is still there but it is not quite as noticable and I am getting used to seeing it. The best thing I have found is to try to slow down and pay more attention to what I am doing. Sometimes it works other times not so much.
I was thinking that if it were red, I could have given my wife a heart attack. "Hey come in here and help clean up this mess," while I'm holding my hand in a towel.
Be careful with the acetone on your epoxy floor - it could damage the epoxy.

I've used both methods, but I find that the Dykem holds up better than a marker. I just wish that they would go back to the metal can instead of the plastic bottle. I find the plastic bottle gets brittle and gives way after a while, This goes for the brush inside, too. I've had the plastic one "disappear" into the fluid.
I tested a small area with some nail polish remover. It seemed to lighten up the area and I now have a jug of full strength acetone to try. So far, this floor has been pretty forgiving. It's the Sherwin Williams industrial stuff, not what you get at a box store. Hopefully, it stays intact after this.

A solution tho the tippable Dykem bottle would be to machine a well into a block of metal and set the Dykem inside. Add a little handle for ease of transportation, kind of like Aladdin's lamp.

Back