Import Endmill Sets

gramps1951

Active User
Registered
I'm curious if anyone has bought and used any of the 20 piece import endmill sets. They have 10 sizes in 2 flute and 4 flute. I know you get what you pay for and I wonder if they even cut or stand up to use. HF sells a set for $80 as an example.

Thanks for any input anyone may have.

Mike
Endmill set.jpg

Endmill set.jpg

Have a friend who bought a set from someeone. He Only cuts aluminum and says they are pretty dull. I don't know the exact brand.

I've had good luck with the Interstate brand from Enco. Cobalt with TIN coating. I watch the hot deals for them to go on sale and then buy them when they have one of those 20% off coupons on top of it. I cut mostly steel and haven't dulled one though I have broke two from being stupid. Also picked up about 175 assorted end mills at an estate sale, all brand new so I'm good for a while.

Dave

I'm curious if anyone has bought and used any of the 20 piece import endmill sets. They have 10 sizes in 2 flute and 4 flute. I know you get what you pay for and I wonder if they even cut or stand up to use. HF sells a set for $80 as an example.

Thanks for any input anyone may have.

Mike

Hi Mike, if that's the set from Busy Bee this is a case where you don't even get what you pay for, don't get me wrong I like Busy Bee and I've bought a lot of stuff there and will buy a lot more, but not those coated end mills.
I bought this set to try them, and they where just horrible.
View attachment 80371
I found the uncoated one's from there better but not by much, if it's possible see if you can find a local place that sells or supplies drills and end mills to shops and see what they have, I know you'll pay a little more but it's money well spent, this is just my personal opinion.

I bought a set and found that I only really used a few sizes for the work I do. Since then I have bought individual and higher quality endmills and have been much happier with them.

Shawn

A friendly suggestion… buy just the 2 or 3 sizes you use more, and of good quality, and build your own fancy box… maybe even with a better wood :biggrin:

There are 26 reviews here on the Amazon page for that kit. http://www.amazon.com/End-Mill-Set-pieces-Flute/dp/B002YPHSJK

$60 plus shipping. Sourced from little machine shop. Almost bought them the other day too.

I missed all the other replies and was about to post that I was going to buy these. Glad I read the rest. Looks like I will probably pass on this purchase and watch for something better. My mill has a Clarkson collet that uses the threaded shank end mills bit I do use the plain shank ones but with lighter cuts. Finding the threaded ones is a bit harder and they cost a bit more but I guess as with most things I am better off with good ones in just the common sizes. It isn't like I run a production shop but I like to have things on hand when I start a project. Typical tool envy I guess, never can have too many of anything!!

Mike

I bought a set like that from Little Machine Shop several years a go when I was starting.
They worked fairly well but some are much better now that they have been sent off to Brian Grouschow Grinding.
They came back much smoother and sharper. Edges have lasted well post grinding.

Being on a museum budget,as toolmaker in Wmsbg.,I have used a few of those sets.

A problem with them is they may or may not be fully sharp. Some are,some are not.

The Tin coating is so thin you can just about see through it,so I wouldn't be concerned if it is there or not.

Those Chinese HSS endmills are harder than American made ones,and will break easier. But,they also will mill some metals that others will not. It's a trade off. ALL Chinese HSS I have used(quite a bit) is harder than USA stuff. I don't have a problem with that. I don't know if they'll hold up as well as GOOD,OLD,VINTAGE USA HSS,but since I've not been involved in production work,this has not been a factor for me.

I would say go ahead and buy them,but not from HF. They get the cheapest of the cheap,and if the cutters have a chance of being not fully sharpened,I'd bet the HF ones are at the top of the poo poo list.

Since I have a tool & cutter grinder,I haven't been as concerned as others might be about sharpness. I'd buy from Little Machine Shop,where you at least have some customer service. Except the shipping back and forth will probably equal the cost of those end mills.

The bottom line,as is most usual,is you're going to get what you pay for. But GOOD end mills cost so much that 2 of them would equal the cost of that set. If you're a hobby machinist,I'd say go ahead and try a set. I have been able to do good work with MOST of mine(though I CAN resharpen them,as said).

I use Chinese endmills, bought a set several years ago. I have had varying success with them. Some of the problems are of my causing as I have 'mis-used' them on occassion. All together though they have done 'OK' but not better than OK. If you buy a couple of well made US endmill (some of which I have) I think you'll see the difference in quality and performance. Just a thought from my limited experience.

Back