Import Endmill Sets

I purchased a similar set from LMS when I started. They worked ok, but you find out pretty quickly that there are only a few sizes that you will use regularly. That may be the best thing about these sets.

I still have the set, most of the mills are chipped and they just sit there in that "fancy" wooden box. I honestly don't think they are that great a deal. The uncoated import mills ("Interstate" brand) from Enco are actually not that bad, and are cheap. Grab a few of those in sizes that you think you will use, and start keeping an eye out for sales (often you can get the name brand stuff for nearly the same price as the import stuff if you get it on sale, or with a discount, or both). And yes, the higher end cutters are noticably better. The import stuff is usable, and fairly sharp, nice when you are starting out, and you know you are going to break some things. Once you stop breaking things, invest in some nicer mills. I have some OSG cutters, and they are RAZOR sharp. I am keeping some in reserve for soft plastics.

For aluminum I really like the 3/8" 3 flute carbide mills from Atrax, or the 1/2" 3 flute rougher finishers from Lakeshore Carbide (though, they are pricey).

IMO the box is not a feature, it just takes up space. Keep your eye out for a used machinist toolbox (they have lots of small drawers that are ideal for storing mills) and keep your cutters in there. I got my Kennedy box for $40 used IIRC, and it works great for organizing mills/taps/etc.

I'm curious if anyone has bought and used any of the 20 piece import endmill sets. They have 10 sizes in 2 flute and 4 flute. I know you get what you pay for and I wonder if they even cut or stand up to use. HF sells a set for $80 as an example.

Thanks for any input anyone may have.

Mike
View attachment 80364

I have never used a coated end-mill. Not sure why they are coated. I agree with some of the others buy a few common sizes and find a good storage container. In the photo the box might be better than what is in it. Ask a local machine shop where they get their tools or have them re-sharpen.

Good luck.

I have never used a coated end-mill. Not sure why they are coated. I agree with some of the others buy a few common sizes and find a good storage container. In the photo the box might be better than what is in it. Ask a local machine shop where they get their tools or have them re-sharpen.

Good luck.

the coating improves durability of the cutting edge. TIN is the lower end of possible coatings but I think it still helps.

Dave

I bought a set from eBay and have been happy with them. These were for the Index Super 55 I just picked up this spring and renovated, and hadn't ran a mill since college, so it was a nice starter set I can (re)learn on without worrying too much if they break. Managed to break off a 2-tooth cutter by crashing it; much easier to change bits and drive on when it's not an expensive tool you just ruined.

Since then, I've picked up a couple cobalt cutters in my more commonly reached-for sizes to have some quality. It's nice having the variety of sizes to chose from, though. You always run into that odd cut that would be best suited by something other than your top couple sizes.

So, if you're looking for top-shelf, then pass. If you're more in line for something that has variety of sizing, cuts decently enough, and won't bring too much swearing from turning your handwheel the wrong way, you are fairly safe with these and similar. Pick up better tools as your go, and enjoy doing the best you can with what you've got.

In my opinion, get high quality endmills. They last a lot longer, stay sharper longer, and the sharpener won't laugh as much when you bring them into get touched up. LOL

My wife got me a set from enco for fathers day. I killed one and broke one but both cases was my doing. They seem to cut just fine. And better to have broken the cheap ones and learn the lesson. I will buy what I need as I need it or find a deal now though.

In my opinion, get high quality endmills. They last a lot longer, stay sharper longer, and the sharpener won't laugh as much when you bring them into get touched up. LOL

Speaking of sharpeners, any suggestions as to where to send cutters? There is nowhere nearby for me to take them to.

Ive not read thru all the posts but my .02 is they arent worth a darn. Save your $20 and buy one good quality endmill in a common size useful to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of sharpeners, any suggestions as to where to send cutters? There is nowhere nearby for me to take them to.

I don't think there are a lot of places that do it professionally. The cost of new hardware vs, re-sharpening is not that great unless you are doing it yourself.

Last time I was at the local MSC, they had these containers to use for recycling used carbide. Don't remember what they paid per-pound, but it would probably be more cost effective (at least for carbide) to recycle your dull cutters and buy new ones than to pay for re-grinds.

Don't misunderstand me: I have hundreds of USA made end mills by now. But,I am recalling my earlier days when I had a very small budget. And,also thinking in terms of the hobby machinist's needs(That's what this site is!:))

For the money,I know you can get some use out of them,and they are ALWAYS on sale in the monthly sales catalogs that Enco sends out. Plus,most often free shipping. Maybe you should get on their mailing list.

For what it's worth,I have heard machinists say that Atrax end mills are no good either,though,again,with my limited museum budget,I have used many of them myself,no problem. The solid carbide ones. BUT,I am not doing production work,once again. I don't know how well Atrax will stand up to production. They obviously cost less than many other brands,so I guess that you are still getting what you paid for. I can't pay $30.00 or $40.00 for a 1/2" end mill(At least I WON'T) If I were doing production work,where tool longevity and time are money,that would be a different situation.

About the coating: especially as thin as the coatings on these Chinese end mills is,it is more useful as a "non stick" coating when milling aluminum than anything else. Thin at it is,though,if you can get the uncoated ones cheaper,go for it. It reminds me of the chicken soup made by running a chicken through the water!!

By the way: Those boxes are usually falling apart anyway. Look how sloppy the routing around the hinges(the super cheap hinges!) is. And,that box looks better than most I have seen!!

Back