In the market for a slitting saw and arbor.

finsruskw

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
What do you guys suggest?
Found a cheapie on Amazon but it had a few bad reviews concerning out of round and runout issues.
Tried making a DI holder today that required a slit to be cut.
]I did it on the band saw and it looks like crap.

I find that the cheap ones overtighten with use.
I suggest looking for a quality tool on ebay.
I have a Niagara that came with my mill that is rock solid and can handle anything that my 3hp mill can dish out.
I also have a couple of cheapoes that are ok, if you don't ask too much from them.

Whatever steel I have around. I normally buy the blades from Harbor Freight or Amazon. I even used a 4'' Harbor Freight carbide tipped for one slitting saw. Most times the saws are not totally concentric with the center hole, but it's not that important.

Whatever steel I have around. I normally buy the blades from Harbor Freight or Amazon. I even used a 4'' Harbor Freight carbide tipped for one slitting saw. Most times the saws are not totally concentric with the center hole, but it's not that important.
Yep, exactly this :) I used 4140 for the arbor because I had some in my drawer, but even just cheapy cold-roll is fine. For the blades, I found a handful on ebay. With slitting saws, concentricity isn't particularly important, as long as you have a sufficient depth-of-cut and feed rate, all the teeth end up cuttng anyway. The only important thing I found is the shoulder 'squareness', since it can alter the kerf of the cut (which is often important).

Hey Fin , whatcha need ?

Joe Pie has a video on making an arbor.

OOhh, I too am in this market. I could certainly turn one, but a hardened tool shank has benefits as well.

I'm thinking of making one myself since the factory one I have has a little too much runout.

I may want to put in a keyway slot though to prevent slipping. Thoughts?

Back