[4]

Index Model 645 Mill

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

T. J.

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Well I finally quit hem-hawing around and did something with this gear :p.

First, I cut off most of the hub on the bandsaw and milled it flat, leaving a 0.100" boss.
image.jpeg
Then, I drilled 1/8" holes in the corners of the hex. I milled the flats using a 1/4" end mill.
image.jpegimage.jpeg
After finishing the corners with a triangle file, I think it came out pretty good.
image.jpeg

Then, I chucked the old gear in the lathe and turned down the gear teeth. I removed the rest of it with a parting tool.
image.jpeg

Then, I bored out a recess to accept the boss on the gear.
image.jpeg

That's as far as I made it today. Next will be to mate the two halves and get the bolt holes drilled. I was reluctant to try making the hex bore in the gear at first, because I doubted my ability. Then I got to thinking that I could try it, and if I screwed it up, I could always bore it out round and go with my original plan. It turns out that it wasn't that big a deal. This is a better situation since the bolts won't be taking a shear load now.

And oh by the way, you wouldn't recognize it, but the rotary table in the pics is the one that came with the mill. It's a little rough around the edges just like everything else, but it worked well. This was the first time I've used it.

5ubtle

some guy
Registered
See post #35 on page #2.
Then the screw is screwed out. This key was missing. I haven't had a chance to investigate what it is supposed to engage
I don't think that that key is for use with the power feed as was suggested by "Deleted member 473". My machine does have Y axis power feed, and I am also missing a similar key. I wonder if it is used temporarily during shaft grinding.

DSCF5509b.jpg

The power feed gear (2842) goes between the bearing housing and the handwheel.

I also want to thank you for posting all of these pictures of your mill. They have been beneficial to me during my build.

T. J.

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
[QUOTE="The power feed gear (2842) goes between the bearing housing and the handwheel.

I also want to thank you for posting all of these pictures of your mill. They have been beneficial to me during my build.[/QUOTE]

That's good to know. And you're very welcome, I'm glad the pics were helpful. You are adding much to the W-I knowledge base on this site yourself with your thread!

dmittz

Registered
You did a wonderful job with your Mill, I really enjoyed reading about your work. Thank you for sharing.

[5] [7]