Indexable Endmill - Rusnok Mill

I'm sure I don't know what you're trying to do. If the grooves need to be circular in shape then a flycutter-type tool might work. If they are straight lines then you may be better off using small solid carbide end mills suitable for use in SS. Do you have a picture or drawing of what you need to do?

Attachments

• 43B8CE27-22C1-4ECE-A8FB-6021C2F9613C.png
    43B8CE27-22C1-4ECE-A8FB-6021C2F9613C.png
    222.2 KB · Views: 30
I now see what you are trying to do, You have the best chance of pulling this off with a fly cutter and some creative grinding. I have doubs if your machine or a 9/16 shank is strong enough to cut grooves that deep in a single pass. you would have to have a VERY slow cutter RPM and a very fast table speed.

You might be better off setting this up on a rotary table and use a small carbide engraving bit with the RPM as high as you can get. It will take a lot of setup and a lot of time to do it.

I now see what you are trying to do, You have the best chance of pulling this off with a fly cutter and some creative grinding. I have doubs if your machine or a 9/16 shank is strong enough to cut grooves that deep in a single pass. you would have to have a VERY slow cutter RPM and a very fast table speed.

You might be better off setting this up on a rotary table and use a small carbide engraving bit with the RPM as high as you can get. It will take a lot of setup and a lot of time to do it.

Thank you for the advice. I agree it’s asking a lot of the mill. I may just have shallower grooves vs the complexity and cost of the rotary table. I actually don’t think I have the room on the mill for a rotary table. I don’t know if you’ve experienced a Rusnok. It weighs 200lbs. Not heavy duty, but it’s a sturdy little mill. Thanks again!

Golf club heads tend to have irregular shapes- have you a good plan for holding them? It's an important part of the task too
Mark

Golf club heads tend to have irregular shapes- have you a good plan for holding them? It's an important part of the task too
Mark
I’m milling the clubs from square bars. I’ve practiced on a few already. I am almost ready to make the grooves before completing the shaping. I’ve got good flat surfaces in the vice, I may need to make an insert for my vice to match the shape if I cut the grooves later. Tool path and sequencing of cuts has been trial and error. This one may turn out to be a practice as well:)

This might work: You could use a fly cutter with HHS ground to make a small groove as already suggested. Instead of feeding the x axis really fast, you could cut each groove individually. Cut a groove, raise the cutter, move over a 1/16" or whatever spacing you want, cut the next groove, repeat.

I think it is going to be really difficult to cut this pattern with a rotating tool - the feed would have to be really fast and your speed really slow. A rotary table might work, maybe.

Back