Indexable Inserts

Gfrost

Registered
Registered
Please excuse my ignorance when it comes to Carbide Inserts.

I recently upgraded from the 12x36 Tida to a Birmingham 1440g and want to also upgrade from HSS to insert type holders and carbide.
There are so many different shapes of inserts.
Are there advantages to one shape over another?
I only want to buy a couple of insert holders at first.
Is there a place here or elsewhere that explains suggested uses for the different holders and inserts?

Gary

I second that. Get the book. This is the default correct answer for this type of question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Please excuse my ignorance when it comes to Carbide Inserts.

I recently upgraded from the 12x36 Tida to a Birmingham 1440g and want to also upgrade from HSS to insert type holders and carbide.
There are so many different shapes of inserts.
Are there advantages to one shape over another?
I only want to buy a couple of insert holders at first.
Is there a place here or elsewhere that explains suggested uses for the different holders and inserts?

Gary
I personally have 4 inserts I like for my lathe, one is a diamond shape insert one is a round button shaped insert, An Iscar insert for my parting blade and a threading insert, I have/am experimenting with different point radius, coatings and materials but sticking with those. anything that requires something different I revert to HSS and grind what I need.

This is the insert I have found works the best for me thus far....

Attachments

• Insert.jpg
    Insert.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 27
Sorry to hijack with what may sound a daft question, but does that book cater to 10mm shank tooling?

(OK, yes, the only daft question is the one left un-asked, I know that! LOL)

Sorry to hijack with what may sound a daft question, but does that book cater to 10mm shank tooling?

(OK, yes, the only daft question is the one left un-asked, I know that! LOL)
I know you are in the land of mm but 10mm or 3/8" should be interchangeable...... should be.....

@verbotenwhisky I am firmly in the land of miles / yards/ feet / inches et-al and the country that gave the world Railways, but since mm is what these tools are supplied in, that was why I asked about mm.

3/8" (0.375) is not 10mm

10mm is closer to 25/64" (0.3906") being 0.3937 which equates, near as damnit, to 9.9219mm.

Splitting hairs? possibly, though I do see your point as regards potential interchangeability.

Just dont want to cough up for a book the may not suit my needs as a reference work.

*** Edited to correct spelling ***

@verbotenwhisky I am firmly in the land of miles / yards/ feet / inches et-al and the country that gave the world Railways, but since mm is what these tools are supplied in, that was why I asked about mm.

3/8" (0.375) is not 10mm

10mm is closer to 25/64" (0.3906") being 0.3937 which equates, near as damnit, to 9.9219mm.

Splitting hairs? possibly, though I do see your point as regards potential interchangeability.

Just dont want to cough up for a book the may not suit my needs as a reference work.

*** Edited to correct spelling ***
I understand; however, most of the inserts are bi-units, the holders are sized for the post. If you look at the picture in my post above you'll see that the inserts have both mm and in. listed, I will not swear they are all like this but..... I have several holders with 12mm shanks that work fine in my 1/2" post and my inserts work with them as well.

I personally have 4 inserts I like for my lathe, one is a diamond shape insert one is a round button shaped insert, An Iscar insert for my parting blade and a threading insert, I have/am experimenting with different point radius, coatings and materials but sticking with those. anything that requires something different I revert to HSS and grind what I need.

This is the insert I have found works the best for me thus far....
When you use up the two pointd of the diamond, how do you use up the other two shallower points?
I watched one of ABOM's video's and he likes the diamond shape as well, he ends up using the shallow points on a fly cutter on the mill

Back