Info on a K. O. Lee Surface Grinder

I have a friend who recently bought a Boyar-Schultz 618 hydraulically powered grinder as a basket case. Amazingly, the previous owner had all the parts carefully cleaned up and segregated, and everything is there, zero parts missing. He got the grinder really cheap, so doesn't have much invested in it. After a careful inspection of all the parts, it looks good. The coolant pump, hydraulic pump, and the spindle are the unknowns at this point. He is rolling the dice, but he is being smart about it...

I have a friend who recently bought a Boyar-Schultz 618 hydraulically powered grinder as a basket case. Amazingly, the previous owner had all the parts carefully cleaned up and segregated, and everything is there, zero parts missing. He got the grinder really cheap, so doesn't have much invested in it. After a careful inspection of all the parts, it looks good. The coolant pump, hydraulic pump, and the spindle are the unknowns at this point. He is rolling the dice, but he is being smart about it...
Sounds like the same unknowns in my case. We'll see what happens...

One thing to consider is having a shipper move the grinder. They will not have the care that you would have. Unless maybe a rigger? Which might double the cost of the grinder.
My 6x12 Boyer is 1k pounds. With taking table off it was pretty easy to transport with minimal rigging. The hydro tank is separate so not added weight. I believe the hydraulic cylinder can be disconnected easily. Yes the grinder can be operated in both manual and hydraulic. One just disengages the manual drive when using the automatic.
If and when transporting one thing I would do is wrap the entire machine in a Saran Wrap or bag it to keep all the road dust from getting in the grinder. Good luck

One thing to consider is having a shipper move the grinder. They will not have the care that you would have. Unless maybe a rigger? Which might double the cost of the grinder.
My 6x12 Boyer is 1k pounds. With taking table off it was pretty easy to transport with minimal rigging. The hydro tank is separate so not added weight. I believe the hydraulic cylinder can be disconnected easily. Yes the grinder can be operated in both manual and hydraulic. One just disengages the manual drive when using the automatic.
If and when transporting one thing I would do is wrap the entire machine in a Saran Wrap or bag it to keep all the road dust from getting in the grinder. Good luck
I hear you. A couple of months ago, I bought an extremely nice Vectrax mill that was about 200 miles away. I picked it up myself - did all the rigging and completely shrink-wrapped it. Took ALL DAY to drive there, load it, and drive home. By then, I was too tired to unload it, so I parked the rig in a barn and unloaded it the next day. That turned into one of the best purchases I've ever made. The mill is twenty years old, but was only used in a hobby shop for about a year - then stored in a completely environmentally controlled garage. What car folks call a 'barn find'. Quiet as a sewing machine, and everything works impeccably. Nice thing about Vectrax - if something breaks, go buy the part. I'm paranoid that the same may not be the case for this surface grinder.

If I get it, I'll probably take two trips there. One to examine it, the second to pick it up myself.

Question for you: Bob raised this issue and you might have an answer. If the feed is operated manually instead of hydraulically, is it significantly stiffer? The machine has some fairly large hand wheels on it. Is that why?

Regards,
Terry

The larger handwheel is for traversing the table L/R. If it were 3-4” diameter you’d be spinning a lot for table movement. So their larger for leverage and lessen operator fatigue.
My machine came hydraulic or manual on the same platform. So it can be easily adapted. My traverse wheel has to option to disengage from the rack for hydraulic mode. The hydraulic system is easy minimal components a cylinder, directional valve which also houses the speed,and a pump/ tank. It would be nice to have that option. Most grinders that style the grinder can be separated from the base/cabinet 4 bolts. It cuts down weight for moving.
As for parts availability you should be fine unless it’s a casting or something proprietary to the company which I would think would be minimal if any. What I would do is try and get as much tooling and accessories as the owner has. That’s the stuff that nickel and dimes you.

The larger handwheel is for traversing the table L/R. If it were 3-4” diameter you’d be spinning a lot for table movement. So their larger for leverage and lessen operator fatigue.
My machine came hydraulic or manual on the same platform. So it can be easily adapted. My traverse wheel has to option to disengage from the rack for hydraulic mode. The hydraulic system is easy minimal components a cylinder, directional valve which also houses the speed,and a pump/ tank. It would be nice to have that option. Most grinders that style the grinder can be separated from the base/cabinet 4 bolts. It cuts down weight for moving.
As for parts availability you should be fine unless it’s a casting or something proprietary to the company which I would think would be minimal if any. What I would do is try and get as much tooling and accessories as the owner has. That’s the stuff that nickel and dimes you.
Thanks,

He has all original tooling, accessories, manuals (which look to be in mint condition), and additional grinding wheels that came when it was new. This machine is very lightly used. This machine seems to be set up for both hydraulic and manual as well. On the video, he operates it hydraulically; then he shuts down, pulls the large hand wheel out, and operates it manually. Doesn't appear to be any issues, but remember - he's not grinding anything - just operating.

From what I've learned on another forum, it seems to be an absolute nightmare to get parts for the machine. And they're very expensive. Apparently, since K. O. Lee was bought by LeBlond, parts inventory for older machines has been reduced to essentially nothing, and anything they provide costs a bundle. I ran into that exact problem with a Harrison lathe I bought (Clausing is their distributor). Turned out I needed a gear shaft in the headstock - had to have it - and it cost more than I paid for the lathe. I don't mind old equipment - a kinda like it, actually - but I don't want to go through that experience again.

I'm going to set up an appointment to see the grinder. We'll see what happens.

Regards, and thanks again,
Terry

Update: We're tire-kicking. He wants more than I'm comfortable paying because of the potential for needing parts in nosebleed territory. Like one machinist told me, "It's not a question of 'if' something will go wrong, but 'when'." I think we'll narrow the gap, but given what happened with the Harrison lathe, I'm pretty gun shy.

To be continued...

Regards,
Terry

Well, maybe I should rename this post 'The One That Got Away', or 'Dodged That Bullet' - not sure which since I didn't even get to look at it. The seller and I got together on a price but subject to my actual examination of the machine. We both agreed that he had the right to keep it available for sale and - wouldn't you know it - the DAY BEFORE I was to go look at it, someone came along and paid him his full price. Had the truck and trailer ready to go. Oh well, that's life. Probably would have been a good machine, but I just couldn't bring myself to commit without looking at it first. No regrets; he and I had a good conversation after the fact. He felt bad, but I told him not to. I would have done the same thing under the circumstances since my offer included a contingency.

On the bright side, I got a real education on things to look for when examining a surface grinder. Another one will show up sooner or later, and I'll be ready.

Thanks to all who offered advice and wise counsel. Didn't get this machine, but the input wasn't wasted.

Regards,
Terry

Back