Info on a K. O. Lee Surface Grinder

I have a KO Lee 6x18", it's been a great grinder for me. The table lifts straight off the top (just a note in case you need to move it) held in place by gravity. Under the table are oil pockets with rollers sitting on a piece of spring steel. The rollers pick oil up from the pockets and spread it onto the ways. The first thing I had to do was make several sets of rollers and springs to replace the missing ones.
I replaced the spindle bearings in mine too, there is a trick to how the spindle comes apart but I'd have to read my old thread again if I had to do it over again. The bearings were pretty cheap, I just bought the same ones that were already in the spindle from a local bearing supplier. I had to replace a motor belt at some point too, nothing special. Manuals are on the web in PDF form, just look for KO LEE S618 PDF and it should pop up.

I don't remember the table being that heavy but I didn't have the chuck on it when I was working on it.

I have a KO Lee 6x18", it's been a great grinder for me. The table lifts straight off the top (just a note in case you need to move it) held in place by gravity. Under the table are oil pockets with rollers sitting on a piece of spring steel. The rollers pick oil up from the pockets and spread it onto the ways. The first thing I had to do was make several sets of rollers and springs to replace the missing ones.
I replaced the spindle bearings in mine too, there is a trick to how the spindle comes apart but I'd have to read my old thread again if I had to do it over again. The bearings were pretty cheap, I just bought the same ones that were already in the spindle from a local bearing supplier. I had to replace a motor belt at some point too, nothing special. Manuals are on the web in PDF form, just look for KO LEE S618 PDF and it should pop up.

I don't remember the table being that heavy but I didn't have the chuck on it when I was working on it.
Are the rollers carrying the weight of the table, or are they just to transfer oil to upper ways against lower ways, i.e., is it a plain ways or roller ways design?

The ways are plain and the rollers are just for oil transfer. I have photos on another computer, easier to show than describe but not going to post them if the OP doesn't need them.

The ways are plain and the rollers are just for oil transfer. I have photos on another computer, easier to show than describe but not going to post them if the OP doesn't need them.
That is like my B&S grinder. Simple, straightforward, easy to lift the table off and see what is going on under there. Is the table driven longitudinally by a rack and pinion, or by a cable or band or similar?

Thank you to Bob and Holescreek. I'm waiting to receive an answer to a couple of questions, and if positive which I am anticipating, I'm going to schedule a trip to see the machine. It's good to know that I can lift the table to see underneath it. I will likely print this entire thread to take with me for reference when I go to look at it.

If I buy it, I will likely arrange commercial transport of the main unit. But based on your back-and-forth, it seems to me I could carry some portions home in the back of my pickup: wrenches, manuals, etc./magnetic chuck/table/coolant tank & pump). I could then block and secure the head, and the main unit would be the only item transported by a carrier. The seller has agreed to mount the unit on a pallet for shipping and has access to a loading dock.

What do you think?

Regards,
Terry

I bought mine on Ebay 17 years ago and the seller delivered it from Michigan in the back of his pickup truck on a skid with the table removed. Two of us slid it to the back of the bed. I rented a simple lift for $15 that raised the skid and machine and he drove out from under it. I think the machine was <400 pounds.

"coolant tank & pump " - Is this a manual surface grinder or a water grinder? Mine is a manual machine. Don't forget that you'll need dust collection, and if you're running coolant it's going to need a mist collector ($$) too.

I bought mine on Ebay 17 years ago and the seller delivered it from Michigan in the back of his pickup truck on a skid with the table removed. Two of us slid it to the back of the bed. I rented a simple lift for $15 that raised the skid and machine and he drove out from under it. I think the machine was <400 pounds.

"coolant tank & pump " - Is this a manual surface grinder or a water grinder? Mine is a manual machine. Don't forget that you'll need dust collection, and if you're running coolant it's going to need a mist collector ($$) too.
The x-axis can be run manually or automatically. I've seen a video of it running, and it seems to be very smooth and quiet. All three axes seem to operate flawlessly (again on video), and it has an external coolant system (tank and pump) that is represented to be in working order but were never operated on the video. This unit weighs about 1,400 lbs. I think we're talking a bit of apples and oranges here. I don't suspect that that would make much of a difference in terms of the generalities you, Bob and Cadillac of suggested, but perhaps the specifics will vary (e.g., removable table?). What do you think? I'm getting a real education here.

Regards,
Terry

Go take a look at it. Do you have any pics of it we could look at first? Surface grinders are usually easier to transport than a mill or lathe of the same weight, and they are lighter and less top heavy with the table off. My B&S weighs 1846 pounds per the manual. The <400 pounds that Holescreek is quoting seems much too low to me, but could be...

Just looked online. The S718H is a hydraulically powered grinder. It has a hydraulic pump and reservoir, along with at least one hydraulic cylinder that moves the table, maybe cross feed as well. Hydraulic grinders are very nice, you can stand back and watch them work or do something else instead of standing there and constantly cranking the handles. The downside is that there is a lot more complication, and a lot more that can go wrong. You will want to run the machine under power, and prove to yourself that everything is working correctly and without leaks. If not, it is a lot more work and effort to get it operational. These are also orphan machines, obsolete, so getting any special parts is probably a non starter. O-rings and other standard seals are no big deal, but anything special that is bad or missing is a problem.

Another thing to look for is that NONE of the original dust shields are missing, that is a big red flag, and very likely has caused contamination and severe wear.

Edit: You definitely need to see a hydraulic machine work through all its paces and confirm that all is correct. No run, no buy, no exceptions unless you like to gamble...

Last edited:
Hydraulic machines can be run manually, but there is additional resistance to movement from the hydraulic system parts. It is likely harder to move a hydraulic table manually than a manual table manually. You will tire out quickly. I do not think that would be acceptable, although the machine MAY be able to have the hydraulics removed enough to make it work smoothly and easily like a hand operated grinder. I have no personal experience with anything like that. My B&S is a power feed machine, and it all works, but it is all mechanical, no hydraulics.

The S718H is a hydraulically powered grinder. It has a hydraulic pump and reservoir, along with at least one hydraulic cylinder that moves the table, maybe cross feed as well.
This unit moves hydraulically along the x-axis but not the crossfeed.

You will want to run the machine under power, and prove to yourself that everything is working correctly and without leaks.
I've seen it run under power on video and, based on the video, it's very tempting. I'm aware that that is not nearly as good as an actual examination, but it strikes me as a good basis for taking the trip to look at it.

These are also orphan machines, obsolete, so getting any special parts is probably a non starter.
Therein lies the challenge! I've done some on-line investigating and read some horror stories about guys who have bought used K. O. Lee machines only to find out what seems like minor issue morphs into an expensive nightmare because parts are either not available or cost more than they paid for the machine. But then there are the small handful of others who got lucky and ended up with a machine that was very suitable for their needs.

Don't want to end up in the first category. Been there and done that with a pretty nice Harrison M300 lathe. I got it very cheap but needed to replace a drive shaft in the headstock that cost more than I paid for the entire machine. That's what scares me on this machine.

Thanks again for the continuing education and wise counsel.

Regards,
Terry

Back