Info on this lathe

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Local machine auction house has this South Bend machine.
I can’t make any sense of the catalog number. Hoping someone more knowledgeable will know more.
They’re asking $1200

14e93eca973a68b80cabfaa2589a352c.jpg

7aaeb02fc3929b58f5ed0560d39873af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks @mickri
Looks like it's missing the toolpost and the compound dial. I'm half tempted to make a low-ball offer.

The second picture shows a lantern style tool post. Definitely missing the compound dial. You might be able to find one on Ebay. Or you could make one. I believe that Mr Pete/Tubalcain has a video on how to make dials. Worth going to take a look at it.

Yeah, I might go in at $800 and see what they say. :)
Condition is the number one issue. Obvious wear on the bed? Excessive play in the lead screw, cross-slide or compound? Bearing play? Gears missing teeth, etc, etc...

Can they demonstrate it running? Is it 3 phase? Looks to have forward/reverse and emergency stop on the front but the mounting of the controls is not very professional. Always assume the previous owner left you with both electrocution and fire hazards until proven otherwise!

The amount of tooling with it makes a big difference. If it doesn't have another chuck, drill chuck, live centre, steady rest, face plate & dogs, cutters, etc, then you're going to be spending considerably more.

OTOH, it does have a quick change gearbox and appears to be in very good cometic condition. Good luck!

Craig

It would be a big upgrade from the mini-lathe IMHO.

1ohn

Here is some more info on this lathe. http://www.lathes.co.uk/southbend/page8.html Since this lathe is being offered for sale by a dealer they are most likely selling all of the additional chucks, steady and follower rests, etc separately. I would ask what extras they have for sale and would consider offering to buy a complete package. Big upgrade from a mini lathe but this is still a light bench top lathe. Commonly known as the "light 10." The big plus is the 4 1/2' bed which gives you 34" between centers.

It all gets down to what do you want to do with this lathe. For the typical hobby machinist this lathe will mostly do everything you might want to do with a lathe.

Back