Insert Tool Holders

Rifleman1384

Registered
Registered
Sorry, If anyone feels this is in the wrong place but since I'm referring to the PM 1440GT here goes. I am looking at tooling, I have already ordered the Dorian BXA QCTP and several tool holders.

Here is my question, the insert holders come in different lengths, no big deal as far as I'm concerned, The insert tool holders are also in different thicknesses 1/2, 5/8, 3/4 and 1 inch. The QCTP holders will hold 5/8 thru 1 inch. So does it really matter which one I get, let's say one can find one at a cost savings on Ebay but it's 1 inch is that a deal breaker on a machine this size or could I just set it up in the Bridgeport and take some off.

Looking at the Kennametal, ICAR, SECO and Carmex brands, if any of these I need to stay away from your comments and guidance would be much appreciated, Thanks!

Steve

BXA tool holders only hold up to 5/8 based on the dimensions here: https://www.shars.com/quick-change-tool-post-set-wedge-type-222-bxa

You CAN take material off of some of the holders, but you might find on some of them you might need to leave the 'insert' part alone (that is, only mill down the shank 1/2).

That said, as unsolicited advice, You might find getting a box of 1/2" or 5/8" HSS and grind your own bits. HSS ends up being way cheaper in the long run AND gives a way better finish in my experience. You have to turn your RPM down a bit to cut with it (that is, F&S is a little less), but unless you're a production shop you likely won't notice.

Don't buy individual tools they will cost you more in the long run. Unless you plan on setting up a production shop you won't see any real benefit from the high end brand holders.

what you want to do is but a set that uses all the same size and shape of insert. Good inserts are what makes the real difference, and good inserts are not cheap. Not to mention over the long haul you will spend far more on inserts than you will the holders. I've probably spent like $2k on inserts.

For example I have 2 of these sets i purchased from Grizzly. One has inserts for steel, the other for aluminum. One set is almost 14 years old, and the other is 7, and the are as good as the day i purchased them.

you can get a 16mm (~5/8) set from chronos in the uk.

They are made by Glanze tools in India.

Like @ErichKeane said I'd recommend you pick up some HSS and cobalt blanks as well. I'd recommend 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2", and i'd get more 3/8" than anything else, as they are kind of the sweet spot in my opinion unless you needs to really hog off material or a lot of stick out. not to mention grinding a 1/2" blank can take a good deal of time.

BXA Holders take a standard size 5/8" tooling, there are oversized holders that will take up to 3/4", few may go larger. The bigger issue is two fold, even if you cut down the insert holder it will leave the insert height above the center line of the spindle with not enough adjustment to compensate. The second factor is the larger insert/holder size you will have more interference problems when doing smaller work and with a live center. Better to standardize with 5/8" holders and inserts. So my go to insert is a CCMT/CCGT 32.51 which fits in 5/8 or 3/4" holders for turning and also 1/2-1" boring bars. I use an oversized 3/4"shank holder for my cutoff and knurling tools. But be mind full of the center height and the adjustment range. A 1" holder is way too big.

I have all carbide insert holders, you can get decent sets for reasonable price although all mine are Kennametal, Seco, Iscar, etc. which I picked up at very reasonable pricing. Inserts are cheap, and last a long time.

Attachments

• Lathe tool holders and inserts recommendations.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 389
Like @ErichKeane said I'd recommend you pick up some HSS and cobalt blanks as well. I'd recommend 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2", and i'd get more 3/8" than anything else, as they are kind of the sweet spot in my opinion unless you needs to really hog off material or a lot of stick out. not to mention grinding a 1/2" blank can take a good deal of time.

I've got a bit of a bigger lathe (16" with CA tool holders) and picked up a bunch of 1" and 3/8" HSS (plus a 1/2" premade kit). I find the 3/8 too small, and the 1" takes to grind :) My chinesium pre-ground 1/2" kit has had the original grinds gone for a while and I've been using those!

I have PM's 5/8" turning and boring kits. I like the idea of one size insert. I have a couple of hss cutters, but only use them for severe interrupted cuts.

Here's an example why you want some HSS/Cobalt blanks. This is a 1/4 blank and I would have hated to grind this out of anything bigger.
IMG_20200731_144555.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200731_144555.jpg
    IMG_20200731_144555.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 146
I'm going to take some of the advice above one step further. I have fully tooled my lathe from eBay and Aliexpress. I'm talking turning, boring, external threading and internal threading. I shop price, and have consistently bought the cheapest most economical tools I could find. NONE of it has been crap, they have all been good quality tools in every respect. The same goes for the inserts. For the price of one or two name brand tools you can have everything you could imagine you might need. Start with a set like this (16mm/5/8 shanks) just to get your feet wet. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32957073997.html?

In my experience, the insert holders don't make a huge difference. I have had success using homemade insert holders out of aluminum using a philips head screw from the hardware store. Even the super cheap holders I have gotten have held up just fine to several years of use.

I also haven't found too much difference in QCTP holders. I haven't tried any of the expensive name brand ones though, so maybe those are better and I just don't know. The inexpensive $15-20 ones have done just fine for me.

What does make a difference though is the actual inserts. It can be a little bit hard to tell just by looking at them, but there is a real difference between the $.25-$.75 inserts and the $15-$20 inserts (thats cents and dollars there).

Just to give you an idea of what the differences are, here is a look at an inexpensive import insert under a microscope. This insert was brand spanking new. You can see the cutting edge is already chipped and it is jagged. This one was probably about $1.
yp2w3v7.jpg

This one was a name brand insert that was about $20. Also brand new.
PCHfxLf.jpg

An important thing to consider though is that you might be happy with the cheap insert. It certainly gets the job done, surface finish just suffers a bit and I am betting the cutting edge doesn't last nearly as long.

As long as there is enough adjustment it really won't matter. I also have a few Dorian BXA size, it is nice that they fit 1" tools but the thickness (dimension A) is a little thin. If you look at the CXA size they also hold a 1" tool but is a bit thicker by 1/16".
1596244084089.png

Back