Inside Micrometer or T-Bore Hole Gauges?

Nein! One cannot quantify "fühlen", that cannot be a component of measurement because it is arbitrary and out of control. Spring tension is constant, feeling is not- my fingertips are not calibrated. Introducing unknowns should be avoided, it amounts to black magic when we try to relate the idea to each other.

3 prong internal mics will measure to the tenth also . Nice tools , but they won't tell you when the bore is out of round . The only truly accurate way to measure a bore is with dial bore gages set with standards in a controlled climate . I ran internal , external and universal grinders for years . The dial bore sets are expensive and limited to range . The tri mics ( 3 prong internal mics ) are great but need setting rings . Internal mics will get you within half a thou after practicing . Telescoping gages are fairly cheap for great sets and will easily measure half a thou . Gage block set-ups will certify a tenth accuracy also . Alot of what you ask would depend on the length of the bore . Dial bores being the best of their deep reach .

Telescoping gages are fairly cheap for great sets and will easily measure half a thou
That is my experience too. I'd get an internal micrometer if I really needed one.
I purchased all 3 sets pictured in my last post for less than $50.00 from a used equipment dealer. There was no negotiation that was the original asking price.
wow. really wow. A single bor mic came available on kijiji last year at 75% of new price. 275$. One internal mic. sigh.

Any pawn shops near you? Say within 50 miles from you with some sort of machine shops in the area? If you're lucky you may find bore gauges and other goodies cheap. But do pay attention to wear and tear, missing pieces. Handle them and feel for smooth movement and such.
I brought my first dial bore gauge, a Mitutoyo in the case, all accessories there for $20.00. At a Cincinnati pawn shop early '70s.

Any pawn shops near you?

Yeah we have them. Shady places. Several operators have gone to jail recently. The prices are very high, and the quality is very low. They prey on people with little money and a great need.

Very recently one tried to sell me an offshore gauge block set for 175$ - they can be had for 200$ new, and a used Mitutoyo set should go for less than that. (new price here 550$)

So I've permanently given up on pawn shops in Alberta.

They prey on people with little money and a great need.
Pawn shop businesses don't pay rent by reselling, they specialize in exploitation from the start- that is their product, that is what they are in business for.

I have a friend who makes the pawns his first stop when looking for a tool (because he says eBay is shady!). He gets a deal now and again. I've gone pawn cruising with him, afterwards I feel like I need a bath in Gojo to slough off the grease. Hock shops are seedy, evil places where you go to buy theft and desperation.

Back
Top Bottom