Installing the Mini Split

These posts about the Mr Cool mini split units caught my attention and after some research I ordered one of their Advantage 18k units for a room above my garage that has no decent independent heat or a/c. I realise it's not actually a DIY model (the lines aren't pre-vac'd & charged) but I have gauges and a vacuum pump and the $400-500 lower price and higher seer rating than the DIY model seem like a better deal. The outside unit still comes pre-charged, so it's just a matter of evacuating the lines and opening the valves and releasing the R410A. Also there were more line length options and the 16 ft line set fit my needs better. Seems like the big box stores carry most sizes/models of these units and with a vet/military discount, an 18k unit for under $800 seems like a pretty good deal... hope I have the same opinion once I get it and get it installed!

FWIW....Although not ideal....if one did not have gauges and such, you can kind of cheat. If both inside and outside units are precharged, then hook lines to inside unit and use the internal pressure to bleed the air from the lines. Leave shut off valves closed at outside unit and when you go to tighten lines usually there’s a check valve on the line kit. When you begin to tighten them....you’ll hear air escaping. Usually when the Freon gets to the escaping air at connections the Freon will be evident. Quickly lock down the connection.
If only the outside unit comes charged. Hook up all lines. Then loosen low side connections at compressor/condenser unit. Open high side and wait for sight and smell of escaping Freon from cracked low side. Tighten line and then-make sure both valves at condenser are open for operation.
Not perfect but I was lazy when I installed the cheapest mini split I could find on eBay. It lasted 12 years. Cooled my 1/2 of double in New Orleans before it crapped out. I was good with that.

Had our 18k unit installed for a month now. Using it for occasional heat at the moment. Naturally the efficiency drops as one gets nearer to 10F. We really got it to replace 2-3 window AC units in the summer.
Pierre

Back