Interesting Method Of Creating Radial Relief On Form Tools

Interesting, but I don't understand one thing. He used a torx bit to machine a tool to make a torx bit for the rotary broach. Couldn't he just use original torx bit directly in the broach? Obviously it depends on the hardness of bit and material to be broached.
Mike

Interesting, but I don't understand one thing. He used a torx bit to machine a tool to make a torx bit for the rotary broach. Couldn't he just use original torx bit directly in the broach? Obviously it depends on the hardness of bit and material to be broached.
Mike
That's a good point as it seems that if the torx was hard enough to cut the form tool it should be hard enough to broach. I suppose he was mainly trying to demonstrate his method of achieving radial cutting relief on various types of form cutters.

Mike
He probably made the cutter slightly oversize so there's clearance for the torx bit.

That is one of my favorite channels. His inventiveness is off the chart.
Same. In case you (anyone) don't know, you can turn on closed captions in youtube and change the settings to auto-translate what he's saying.

Did you see today's video?
Apparently in soviet Russia, rebar is made of tool steel.

Same. In case you (anyone) don't know, you can turn on closed captions in youtube and change the settings to auto-translate what he's saying.

Did you see today's video?
Apparently in soviet Russia, rebar is made of tool steel.

I've noticed he does a lot of hardening with water as a quench medium.

Maybe Rebar is similar to the W-1 family of tool steel?

I may have to research this.

If your particular hunk of rebar can be hardened by water quenching it IMO that's a happy accident. But I wouldn't count on it. After all, that's not what it's made for so your mileage definitely will vary when it comes to using it for other purposes.

My wife is eastern European. I've been slowly learning Russian for a couple years now (I learn languages about as fast as I machine, it appears.)

Back