Interesting Method Of Creating Radial Relief On Form Tools

Well, if anybody needs a translation at any particular time frame, just let me know.
Mike

The translation comes across a bit weird on some words. I'm thinking I saw "firmware" a couple times where we would say "tooling".

Same. In case you (anyone) don't know, you can turn on closed captions in youtube and change the settings to auto-translate what he's saying.

Did you see today's video?
Apparently in soviet Russia, rebar is made of tool steel.

"And now I have one less dream" what an ending...

I've noticed he does a lot of hardening with water as a quench medium.

Maybe Rebar is similar to the W-1 family of tool steel?

I may have to research this.
Zero research on my part, at least according to my memory, but among "the things I think I know" is the knowledge that rebar is about the lowest carbon steel there is, and is that way by design because concrete needs to be able to expand, contract, flex, etc, without the internal support shattering. I assumed it would not be able to harden with any quenching medium. If I was not familiar with this channel I would waving the B.S. flag about the whole thing, but I've never seen him sell snake oil so I'll just go with "I don't know." Maybe that's not actually rebar he's working with, but some other metal made by the same process. Or I'm just plain wrong about rebar.

EDIT:
Just read through several threads on knife making forums and here's the summary of what I found:
  • Some rebar can be hardened well enough to make a functional knife, most can't.
  • Rebar comes in multiple grades.
  • The composition tolerance within the grades is loose.
  • It's a crapshoot whether the specific rebar in your hand will harden well, or not, even if you know the grade.
  • General consensus: don't waste your time, but if you do, test hardening a sample first.

Bear in mind, these are the opinions of blade makers and therefore less relevant to drilling through steel with a drill bit than they are to:
  • shaving arm hairs off with kitchen knives
  • slicing through rolled up bamboo mats and water bottles with katanas
  • hacking through really thick rope with bowies
  • brute forcing through the ribcage of a dead pig with a broadsword

Last edited:
May have been a carburizing step not included in the video?

Back