Into To Angles On The Mill

sbx

Registered
Registered
Hey all,

So, I am wondering what you all would suggest to start adding non perpendicular angles to my milling capabilities. Right now I just have a couple basic V blocks in addition to my parallels.

What I am wondering is what should I invest in next? Angle blocks? Sine Vise, plate?

Eventually I want to have a variety of ways. But stuck on what to go with first. My gut says a set of angle blocks.

Thoughts?

Thanks for any feedback.
sbx

I have a t slot table that bolts to the mill table and slides on a half round base that's graduated for angle. I forget the technical name for it but msc has em and every China manufacturer

Gunrunner you need to order a set of these for the Z axis hand crank. Bill did you just spit coffee on your monitor? :rofl:

View attachment 253356

Hey all,

So, I am wondering what you all would suggest to start adding non perpendicular angles to my milling capabilities. Right now I just have a couple basic V blocks in addition to my parallels.

What I am wondering is what should I invest in next? Angle blocks? Sine Vise, plate?

Eventually I want to have a variety of ways. But stuck on what to go with first. My gut says a set of angle blocks.

Thoughts?

Thanks for any feedback.
sbx
What sort of mill do you have? Does it have any capability for off perpendicular angles (i.e. head tilt or nod, table slew)? Stack on angle devices eat up a lot of head room. I suggest you learn about the various options (check out the options you'll get from your original posting) - but only purchase them when you have a job which requires the angle. Often there is a way to get the job done without spending much money (just takes a bit longer).

Thanks jim, that's the one lol. And yes headspace is a concern, a sine vise or good size sine plate will definitely save room, but they can get pretty spendy. Another option is to make your own mini pallet with a bar on one end and use a protractor or something to set it in an angle of your choice, it's not extremely rigid so light cuts are in order to reduce chatter. There are several variations of this mini pallet to look at. I have one but haven't put the round bar under it yet.

Another option is to make your own mini pallet with a bar on one end and use a protractor or something to set it in an angle of your choice...
If you have a combination square, you can use the angle head. Check the level of the mill table for zero, then set the protractor accordingly. Good for about 1/2 degree.
For somewhat more accurate setting, use an angle cube. http://www.compoundmiter.com/digital_cube.html Good to about 0.1 or 0.2 degree. Davidh has an ad in the "CLASSIFIEDS - ITEMS FOR SALE" section of this forum ... http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/low-cost-dros-igaging-absolute.37084/#post-318776 I *think* he can get you an angle cube, and his prices are great.

I think angle blocks would probably be the easiest and cheapest way but of course you are limited.

I have a horizontal mill and can turn the piece on its side and set the angle that way. I also have an angle vise and tilting rotary table. Either of these can be had for less than $100 for imports.

A lot depends on the size of the work piece, how much headroom you have on the Z axis, your budget, need for accuracy, etc.

The cheapest way to go is an angle block set. This allows you to set accurate angles in 1 degree increments and most blocks will have a claimed accuracy of about 0.0001". LMS currently has an import set for $30.00. It's hard to beat angle blocks for speed and ease of use and they're pretty accurate, too.

You can also go with an adjustable angle block if your work is wide enough and you don't require super-fine accuracy. It definitely provides more support across the width of the work piece.

Tilting angle tables, either the rotary kind that chevydyl and Jim pointed to, or the ones that are hinged on one end are good but you need a way to confirm the angle of the work - an accurate protractor, angle blocks or similar.

Sine vises are very accurate but are spendy and take more set up time. If you have to be accurate, go this way.

There may be other ways but for a hobby guy in a hobby shop my vote would be to go for angle blocks. I have owned all of these and to be honest the angle blocks and my hinged angle table are all I really used much. I do admit my needs are simple, though.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll add a set of angle blocks to my next purchase. Either LMS similar import type for now. A rotary table is on my wish list eventually.

btw, I have a PM25-Mv mill and a nice glacern vice. Some of the upcoming projects are some custom carbide insert toolholders, ball turning toolpost, and a few other misc thoughts that got me to want to expand. With time I definitely plan to get a since vice or plate along with gauge blocks to set it.

Back