Is a dry cut saw the same as a cold saw?

I have a Black & Decker abrasive saw just like yours. In the scheme of things it's the least used saw in the shop. The main reasons are as you state, noisy, less accurate and less powerful. Add to that the mess it makes and it's far from my favorite.

The latest of the collection is a 14" Baileigh cold saw. It has variable speed from 21 rpm to 124 rpm. It's quicker than any of the other saws and highly accurate at +/- .001". However, it does require coolant and makes piles of swarf when cutting solid stock. Blades run about $150.00 to $200.00 each and different blades are required for different types and sizes of materials. I currently have 5 blades which should cover the range of materials I cut.

I happened on the one I bought at an excellent price from a used equipment dealer. It needed a fair amount of work but was well worth it in the end. I doubt I would have even considered buying one new in that they usually run between $6,000.00 and $12,000.00 depending on the brand and features you select. I would never get enough use out of it to justify that price.
Searching got me to look at those first and quickly ran away from them when I saw the price... US$5,800.00 yikes. The least expensive that I saw are no-names and in the US$3K range... Grizzly has a 10" for US$1,600.00.

Everything in the garage is a hobby for me... can't see myself spending that much on one. Even as cool as they are...

Last edited:
The Evolution runs faster than a cold saw and shoots ribbons of steel everywhere, which makes it dirtier than a cold saw. It does, however, cost a lot less. I paid $750 a year ago for the big version of the saw, the table (on promotion again right now), and two blades (one ferrous/nonferrous do everything blade, and one smooth and fast steel blade). The Evolution blades are the golden ticket, they are made in Japan and really work well.

With the abrasive, I always worked in the driveway when I had one, with it or just put it in the doorway and shoot my sparks and grit out the roll up door. The sparks burn to powder and the grit isn't much different than road dust in the grand scheme, so I find the abrasive mess a little less insidious than conductive steel confetti chips. So I also shoot the shavings out the door with the Evo not-quite-a cold saw.

The amount of cleanup needed on abrasive is much greater, because of the burrs. The inexpensive abrasive saw doesn't really hold square in two axes no matter what I do to square it- the table flexes and the hardware isn't as snug as it could be. The B&D professional was made in USA, but it was made to a price point nonetheless. The Evolution has a fabulously heavy and snug-fitted cast iron base table with a very solid, repeatable, square in both axes vise. It's faster to set up and change angles on. High quality throughout, all the alignments and mating bosses are super heavy and just work. Since Evolution outsources to China, it's clear that their emphasis is on design and marketing/support/distro.

So the question I have... What would be a better buy for my hobby shop use:

1. A 7x12 badsaw?
2. A cold saw? There are a couple of Baileigh CS-315EU available for sale, used, for about the same price as the 7x12 bandsaw.
3. An Evolution chop saw?

Last edited:
I think you’ll get the most use out of a bandsaw. While cold saws are slightly more accurate and somewhat quicker they require you to attend them for the entire cut. They also need much more expensive blades and coolant

Most cold saws used in commercial settings need to be completely disassembled and cleaned every 5years or so. The dried coolant makes them difficult to operate

Blades for a bandsaw usually cost 1/4 of a cold saw blade.

So the question I have... What would be a better buy for my hobby shop use:

1. A 7x12 badsaw?
2. A cold saw? There are a couple of Baileigh CS-315EU available for sale, used, for about the same price as the 7x12 bandsaw.
3. An Evolution chop saw?

I like the bad saw, I have both, three actually. I have a big Milwaukee cold saw, a little portable Evolution with a 7 1/4" blade and the HF version of the 7x12 you are showing

The big Milwaukee doesn't get used anymore. Its fast, accurate, but throws metal chips from here to Broken Axle Arizona. Blades are a bit pricey as well.

The little portable Evo saw is a must have. Weighs about 10 pounds and cuts lights out. Whenever I have work to do away from the house, it comes along. Runs on 110 VAC. I think it is 1700 rpm so it too throws nasty chips into the neighbors yard.

The badsaw though, very accurate, chips stay around the machine, quiet, coolant capable for big / hard work. Still using the same bimetal blade I put on it when i bought it 4 years ago. It is 110/220VAC capable, I wired mine for 220, dont know if that makes a difference or not.

7x12 Bandsaw it is... hobby, not in a hurry for anything... no plan on taking it on the road...

Doubt I will ever use the abrasive saw again... it just sits in the corner of the bench and I will not move it under it to regain that space...

Thank you all!

I think you've made the right choice. As mentioned, before I got the Baileigh cold saw at an excellent price. The truth be known it didn't look anything like it does now. It was a rusty filthy mess with a blade missing some teeth, leaking seals, an inoperative coolant pump, broken vise handle, and a bad power switch. Add to that after 10 years in a commercial shop it was so coated with dried coolant you couldn't change the cutting angle.

It took a couple months to find the needed parts, clean it up, paint it and reassemble it. I had the original blade retoothed, bought one new blade from the Cold Saw Blade Shop, found 2 new blades on eBay, and modified one existing blade I had for a different saw.

The bandsaw was about 20 years old when I got it. Again, I got it for a song because the previous owner had purchased a larger more automated version. It was a plug and play scenario. So far, the only maintenance it's needed are a blade brush, some blade guide wheels, a gear box seal, and a few blades. This saw is by far the most used in the shop. There were weeks when it ran 20 hours or more trying to keep up with projects. More recently it works 5 or so hours a week.

The power hacksaw was as much of a nostalgic purchase as anything else. I needed another saw when the bandsaw was working overtime and happened to see it on Craigslist. Having used one for years at work I was aware of its capabilities, and cost to operate. When I went to look at it the owner all but gave it away. It was an offer I couldn't refuse.

These are the reasons I'm a believer in old iron. If you're patient and have some knowledge of the equipment you're looking for you can find machines in excellent condition for a dime on the dollar compared to new. Granted I live in an area where machines like these once ruled in industry. The trick so to speak is to be able to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I just took a quick look on Facebook Marketplace for used bandsaws in your area. There are nearly 2 dozen listed. Many are junk, and some seem overpriced, but you may find something that appeals to you.

Last edited:
Thank you @projectnut !! As soon as my detached garaged is built, I will get serious in finding one. Right now, the wife will crush my nuts if I try to buy and stuff another machine in garage.

I'd add that the main qualifier for the recommendation is what you do most of. If you mostly machine, get the band saw. If you mostly fabricate, get the chop saw. If you want one saw to rule them all, get the cold saw.

For the wife, tell her you're storing it out of the way in the garage. You are doing her a huge favor, because you originally planned on putting it in your spare room in the house, but you came to your better judgement.

Back