Is anyone familiar with this scroll saw?

O

ome

Forum Guest
Register Today
I inherited this saw and have an idea it may be a craftsman. The pictures below show a lower wider hose to blow air and a upper hose for above the table clean-up.
It is missing a cap that went on the top of the brass tube. The piece dissappeared over time.
There are holes where the motor shaft is, and a knurled nut.
Do I put oil or grease in these holes.
Does anyone know what could be done to the open tube and if it needs that center hole for venting.
Thanks,
Jon
image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure I have one just like it---I will check it out tomorrow in my very cold shop, and give you any information I can find on it---Dave

I have one like that, only no motor. It was given to me in pretty ruff shape. I disassembled it, cleaned and painted and put it on a shelf in my garage. I don't have any need for a scroll saw, but it was obviously a quality piece of equipment and I couldn't let it go to the scrap yard. I've been thinking lately about trying to convert it to a die filer. I haven't gotten to far with that yet, it's still on the shelf.

Sorry I don't have any information for you. Mine did not have any ID plates on it when I got it.

I have one very similar. It's a Powermatic that I have. Mine was purchasedas surplus from where I teach. I don't have the manual.

thats a delta rockwell. they made saws for many companies like sears etc. be sure to keep the upper spring assy oiled they are $100+ dollers

I am unaware of any Sears machines made by Delta. I could be wrong,but in the early 60's I used to demonstrate woodworking machines for Sears during the Christmas season. Sealley(sp?),the thermos bottle makers,made several machines for Sears,strange as it may seem.

I am unaware of any Sears machines made by Delta. I could be wrong,but in the early 60's I used to demonstrate woodworking machines for Sears during the Christmas season. Sealley(sp?),the thermos bottle makers,made several machines for Sears,strange as it may seem.

From reading a little history on Sears/Craftsman tools they had a multitude of vendors rebadging machinery/tools for them, I have never (at least don't remember) read where Delta was a supplier though.

I have had several of those scroll/jig saws, the one I have now has been re-purposed as a plannishing hammer, the idea of making a die filer out of one is a very cool & doable project.

Some of these jigsaws,including the Delta ones,even the ones from the 50's,have pot metal parts. The part that does the reciprocating in the Delta(I own one),is pot metal. A young friend of mine bought a Delta. The pot metal part was completely mangled. Delta wanted about $300.00 for what they called a "Historic part". It was ridiculous. I helped him mill out a steel part that will never wear out.

In regard to this part,it might be no better in the Sears model. In fact,I'd bet on it. If you make a die filer,the part might get over stressed and wear out. I don't think a replacement for that part in ANY scroll saw would be very hard to make in REAL metal,though. Just be prepared to have to do it.

I don't know all the suppliers of Sears machines. I know Seeley made the little 6" open side thickness planer that you had to manually shove wood through. Those were actually very nice little machines when their blades were sharp. I had one for a while in the 60's. It was the only planer I could reliably plane rosewood guitar sides in without much risk of splintering the wood,since the wood laid flat upon the cast iron table,where it could not vibrate as it went under the knives. The sheet steel hold downs were close to the knives,too. That helped the smooth planing action.

I am sure Seeley made the 6" jointer,too,since the 6" planer used the same cutter head. I think Seeley might have made my 1963 Craftsman drill press,which I bought new for $125.00 on sale. Multiply that X 10 for today's cost. Stuff back then was USA made,and wasn't as cheap as today's Asian stuff.

Back