Is anyone familiar with this scroll saw?

Thank You,
does anyone know whether oil or grease in holes above motor shaft and knurled nut on hole above pulley shaft. No zirk fittings for grease, just 2 uncovered holes, and one covered hole with knurled plug. I have oiled moving shaft inside the brass or pot steel as Walter suggests.
Thanks,
Jon

The link to the manual talks about lubrication and recommends SAE 30 oil for the crank case and SAE 20 for the shaft. I would use the same SAE 20 for the motor, you can pick up a small bottle of SAE 20 "3 in 1" electric motor oil at Lowes or your local hardware store. A few drops is all you need. You can probably find some non-detergent SAE 30 motor oil at Tractor Supply your local auto supply store and maybe Walmart.

my saw like yours is a dunlap ---I think sears sold this brand--I'll get some pictures to include later--Dave

Dunlap was a 2nd class line of tools sold by Sears for many years. Craftsman was the best line.

When I was a kid back in the early 50's,the Sears catalog was the most read(by me) book in the house!! Especially the tools and guitar section. Now,when I find those old guitars for sale,I wonder what all my excitement was about? I always wanted the black arch top electric they called "Black Beauty"(they stole that name from Gibson). Several years ago I found one in new condition for $130.00 at a guitar show. I looked at it and passed it up. It was their best guitar back in the 50's. At $130.00 they were practically giving it away.

It may have been sold by Montgomery Ward. I had one very similar to it and it carried a MW plate.

Randy

It has been a long time since I have seen the old Sears scroll saw. I can't remember if this one is that same model or not. I recall that top spring tube was fat like that,fatter than the Delta. But,the overhead arm might have been a bit more squared off in cross section.

Hi George,
I am going to try and see if I can make out any letters that may give a clue as to the brand of this saw.
Thanks,
Jon

Jon---well the dunlap has a different frame than yours--- but I know I have one like yours somewhere----I found two dremmels--one shop master--and a delta scroll saw--and I know that I have a large powermatic scroll saw at my other shop--I will keep looking--It's bad when you look for something and find five or six others but not the one you were looking for---can't say we are short on tools----Dave:thinking:

Yep , that's an 18" Dunlap. I have the same version. I had to rebuild the protractor on mine and a few other minor issues. Works smooth enough but the blade lifts by spring tension alone which sometimes isn't sufficient when turning tight corners or feeding too aggressively. I break blades more often than I'd like. Haven't tried a heavier spring yet, don't use it enough.
Otherwise a heavy and stable piece of wood working gear.

I made a little cap with a check valve in the top spring/piston cylinder. It allows air in on the down stroke and more effectively gets that little blow-hole over the blade working better. dunlap.jpg

It is a Sears Model 104.0407 as stated earlier. I have the complete manual in pdf if you can't find it on the web,
I don't know yet how documents are stored/transferred here yet but you can PM me if you like.
Mark

dunlap.jpg

Back