Is it ok to...

Maplehead

Registered
Registered
... part this way?
When I need to part a piece I use a small hack saw, held in my hand. I don't push down to hard. I let the lathe do the work.
I always did this on my toy micro lathe but now that I got a big boy beginner lathe, my 919, I don't want to do anything bad to it.
Is parting with a hack saw bad? Will it put too much pressure on the spindle bearings?
Also, but unrelated, is it typically hard to disengage the automatic powerfeed lever?

I've never thought about parting like that, but some reasons why I wouldn't are, a blade breaking and going thru my hand, parting off a part and hitting the bed of my glorious lathe with the sawblade, not cutting precisely in any way. There is much more control using the compound and a parting blade.

The only time it should require any effort to disengage a feed lever is if the cutter is under a heavy load.

Learning to part properly is well worth it.
Good luck!

Reactions: Z2V
I have parted with a hacksaw on my 6 x 18 lathe many times in the past. It's not ideal but sometimes it is the only way available. It won't put an undue load on the bearings. Use care when holding the saw frame. I would hook my right thumb around the frame so I can apply pressure but not close my finger around so if the blade should grab, my thumb would slip out and away.

You need to slow the spindle speed as much as possible and use a sawing motion rather than holding the saw blade stationary. You will also want to put a protective sheet over the ways for when the saw finishes the cut

Parting with a hacksaw is what was taught to me in high school shop class. Probably saved the instructor a bunch of parting tools, and it works.

You could also use a parting tool ... and no, it doesn't usually take much pressure to disengage power feed. If yours does, something is amiss.

The biggest reason I have for hacksawing is the very narrow kerf, half the width of my smallest cutoff tool. Much of my work is small, and salvaged, so the narrow kerf does pay dividends. There are many issues that need to be observed, listed above. But it does work well enough where the face is not too important. And it's quick. By the time I have changed the tool holder and aligned it, the cut is done and I have gone on. Craftsman 12X36, by the way.

Yes, hacksaw is fine. If you're worried about the lathe take the part out and clamp it in your vise. Someday I hope to have a lathe that easily parts steel but whether by my incompetence or my wimpy tools I haven't had much luck with it.

This parting experience cost me $182.

compound.jpeg

John

I do it all the time. What ever works. Not all of us have heavy duty lathes that make parting look easy.

Buy a Dewalt portaband and don't run the spindle! Very safe!
R

Regarding the powerfeed, whether I engage it or disengage it there seems to be a single perfect way to do it and I don't always get it. I can feel it going through something so that gives resistance in the middle of the handle swing, almost like a cam. My issue with it is that when I want to stop the powerfeed I don't always catch it right at the point I want to because the handle gave me trouble swinging through to its fully disengaged spot. This makes the bit I am using end up further into the large portion of the rod I am cutting. I'm afraid I'll break the tool or the piece I'm working on. Other than that I love using powerfeed to turn down a rod. The finish is so smooth.

Back