Is it ok to...

Something isn't right with your machine. The lack of control that it affords you is asking for a crash at some point. I don't know if you have a wet carriage or not, but I would start by making sure it is properly lubricated. If it is then find what parts are worn.

I use a hand hacksaw like that, too, but I keep the spindle turning and use a sawing motion. I do this on parts that are small and can be cut off faster with a HS than getting a parting tool set up properly.

As for your power feed, if your parting tool is not set up properly and sharp, it could be mostly rubbing, putting lateral pressure on the clutch, which will make disengaging somewhat difficult.

I use a hand hacksaw like that, too, but I keep the spindle turning and use a sawing motion. I do this on parts that are small and can be cut off faster with a HS than getting a parting tool set up properly.

As for your power feed, if your parting tool is not set up properly and sharp, it could be mostly rubbing, putting lateral pressure on the clutch, which will make disengaging somewhat difficult.
Hi Crossbones
I'm not using a parting tool when using powerfeed.
I noticed today that the hacksaw is, like you said, really only good for smaller parts. This lathe came with a nice parting blade and the QCTP holder for the parting tool. I tried it out on 3/4" aluminum and it worked well and fast.
I rechecked the manual and I am using the powerfeed lever correctly. It's just not that smooth and it has to be held just the right way, like pushing it inward, to get it to engage smoothly and quickly.
I made an aluminum handle with ball end today to relace the m6 allen screw in the carriage that locks the carriage tight longitudinally. I like to have it held fast when facing. The new handle makes it quick and easy to tighten and loosen the carriage. Yup, I'm loving thi new lathe.

Back