Is it possible, and is it safe

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
The 67 Nova has split mono leaf springs. The previous owner ordered the springs with the locator bolt 1/2" farther back to move the housing in the wheel well. Well the tire with weight in the car is too close to the back of the wheel well. Well I would like to know if I can press fit a dowel, and re drill the hole where it needs to be. That's a lot of wells. LOL The reason I'm asking is a new set would be 450.00 bucks, I'll pay it if I have to....

Last edited:
Lol, well...

Edit: N/M, didn't see split mono leafs.

Thanks Will, oh well....

Thanks Will, oh well....

Well..... ;) In case you we wondering, this is what I originally posted. I'm not familiar with split leaf springs.

"My leaf springs were like that too but I benefited from it. But I have a Tacoma, 8 leaf pack. I'm not sure about a press fit dowel. People do relocate the "pin" which is a bolt & nut as you know. But the bolt & nut keeps the leafs in line with each other as well as bolt them together. Well the u bolts would clamp them together once bolted to the axle & a dowel pin would keep the leafs located but I've never seen it done that way, not for trucks anyway. But then again they make reloaction shims as well as angle adjustment shims for trucks that use pins. :dunno:"

Can you contact the spring manufacturer and ask them how to address it safely? I didn't even know they made split mono-leaf springs so I am the last guy to give advice on what is safe!

At least it would be much easier drilling through only 2 leafs. I'd hate to have to try to drill through 8 leafs of hard spring steel!

I'll have to check with them I guess.

Drill a new location hole in the "axle attachment" placing the axle back in the original (or where ever you want it) location.

Since we are talking of only a 1/2 inch shift then Russ's idea sounds good to me.

Back