Is it possible to clean rotor discs

All I ever did was wipe off any rust or debris with a rag. If it was really rusty, I'd use a wire brush to knock things down to metal and just wipe it clean. These are cars or trucks, not spacecraft. There's some margin built in. No rotor or any other part is perfect. Trying to achieve ultimate perfection in a consumer grade vehicle is nonsensical.

I bed the pads, more or less like you describe. Works for me.
I have a spot blaster with black grit, takes a minute or and everything is clean and rust free....

Folks talk about warped rotors all the time. Warps in a rotor DO NOT give problems. Noobdy cares. You'd (within reason) never know there was a problem with the rotor. What folks who say "warped rotor" really mean is that the brake pedal pulsates. That's not a warped rotor, that's a thickness variation what does that. Some of the worst one's I've seen out of the DIY parts stores are, on initial installation, have been at or over 60 thousandths of runout. (They're not ALL that bad...) And while they do settle in and typically run way truer than that, there is ZERO issues with them in the meanwhile.

The pulsation that one might feel, that's from a localized spot. It can be poor inconsistent metallurgy that wears unevenly, but typically not. Most typically that is what I'd call a "fold" more so than a warp. The uneven lug nut tightening, overtightening even if it is equal, spirited driving that keeps the brakes plenty hot, so the rotor takes on some shape as it grows. Almost a single point "bend" in the rotor surface. As that makes a very local deformation, it is not a flat surface, the caliper can't follow it because it's no longer planar as a flat/parallel rotor with normal runout would be, and that very local high spot will wear down even in the non-braking driving time. It makes a thin spot. This changes the travel needed to apply the braking force, and this is where pulsatations come from. Thickness variation pushing the pistons back in right after the "thin" spot. That particular measurements is in tenths. If you've got a thousandth of thickness variation, you can feel it. You may not care at that point depending on your own maintenance plans, your own sense of adventure, or your own sense of humor, but by then it's real.
Thanks for the explanation. Moderate to extreme pulsing is definitely what I experienced with my K1500.

If it had not been for the US government (Not politics, just fact) back in 2008 and 2009 GM would have had more in common with AMC and Studebaker than with Ford and Dodge. Even with that said, they had to close several of their brads and a huge number of their dealers. Say what you will but GM isn't the most awesome thing on the road, Ford weathered the downturn without any government assistance and Fiat say promise in Chrysler and bought them paying back Their Government loans.
Thought this was about helping people with automotive related issues, Not politics or opinions. For the record, I am an ASE Master technician to boot and have spent the majority of my 35 years as a technician with independent shops but that’s neither here nor there. Not exactly what this is supposed to be about. Just don’t like being attacked for stating facts and being called out on what I have to back it up. My experience alone is more than enough

Thought this was about helping people with automotive related issues, Not politics or opinions. For the record, I am an ASE Master technician to boot and have spent the majority of my 35 years as a technician with independent shops but that’s neither here nor there. Not exactly what this is supposed to be about. Just don’t like being attacked for stating facts and being called out on what I have to back it up. My experience alone is more than enough
Our friend was reminded that this wasn't appropriate, and he agreed. This forum is not a place for politics nor fighting. I can understand why you would be upset, but please don't escalate this further in public. If you feel strongly enough, you can report inappropriate behavior to the moderators. That's perfectly acceptable.

I thank you for explaining things to me, as I was unfamiliar with the topic. Please stick around, as I'm sure we can all learn from each other.

My comment was specific to you statement:
Pevehouse said:
Not to mention the support of one of the largest automakers in the world. Let’s hear your take, since you obviously have more training and hands on experience than a General Motors Master and world class technician.

It wasn't intended as an attack on you, it was a historical note which is why I said in my comment "(Not politics, just fact)". GM plays the we are the greatest, the biggest, the best and I disagree with this for many reasons its an opinion.

You are a certified/experienced Mechanic, that is a totally different conversation, this I respect what you have worked hard and accomplished. I had no issues with anything else you had to say short of that statement.

FYI, Your statement "Let’s hear your take, since you obviously have more training and hands on experience than a General Motors Master and world class technician." is pretty rough if your looking for attacks.

And with that said I'll place this thread on ignore....

My comment was specific to you statement:
Pevehouse said:
Not to mention the support of one of the largest automakers in the world. Let’s hear your take, since you obviously have more training and hands on experience than a General Motors Master and world class technician.

It wasn't intended as an attack on you, it was a historical note which is why I said in my comment "(Not politics, just fact)". GM plays the we are the greatest, the biggest, the best and I disagree with this for many reasons its an opinion.

You are a certified/experienced Mechanic, that is a totally different conversation, this I respect what you have worked hard and accomplished. I had no issues with anything else you had to say short of that statement.

FYI, Your statement "Let’s hear your take, since you obviously have more training and hands on experience than a General Motors Master and world class technician." is pretty rough if your looking for attacks.

And with that said I'll place this thread on ignore....
I apologize for my comment. Not looking to argue, just thought my 2 cents may be of value to someone and apparently that offended some people. I’m on here to learn all I can from anyone I can and to offer my knowledge and experience to anyone who may need it. Maybe I overreacted. As I said I apologize

Back