Is it restorable?

Dinwoodie Cutlery Concepts

Registered
Registered
So when I moved into my new shop my landlord informed me that he had moved a bunch of machinery out of the way when he bought the building a few years prior. Among some of the machines was this South Bend 11” lathe I almost started crying when I saw that he just moved them outside and left in the weather. I was wondering if any of you would attempt to restore something like this or is it just scrap?6ED18373-FF65-4348-86F0-CBDC09166CC8.jpegF7FC37F9-DA5F-4438-B8A8-2973F65CA8B1.jpegA5437FCA-61B2-4965-AD8C-2E9E80AF4EC0.jpeg44D32DCF-4CD0-4DC9-BC02-850F2530F218.jpeg27928155-27BA-4721-B964-C5B06A627CFE.jpeg6B9FD46F-1B77-4704-B0B7-EBD884EFC25E.jpegE9DD000A-D600-42DC-B3FA-1C948D578532.jpeg s

If you have enough money and time, anything is restorable, whether is worth the effort, is up to the restorer

the pantograph machine would be worthy of restoration on the other hand

As I said on your other thread, What a crying shame, I would put it in front of my shop and display potted plants on it.

Don't let these guys scare you, this machine doesn't look that bad yet..... but it will be alot of work especially if you don't already have a lathe and milling machine. I would love to take on a project like that....
I do have both already but I really want a lathe with a quick change gearbox my Logan uses change gears that I have none of.

I do have both already but I really want a lathe with a quick change gearbox my Logan uses change gears that I have none of.

Getting the lathe back to a usable state won't be that difficult but it probably won't be that accurate don't expect crazy tolerances from a machine brought back from that unless you have a lot of money to spend on it.

but it will be alot of work especially if you don't already have a lathe and milling machine.

you would also need ~100 gallons of Evaporust
or
an electrolysis tank big enough to soak the entire machine.......

Now, I love a good restoration and pulling a machine from the clutches of death, but this candidate might be passed the limits.
I hate to ever say that, but wow, I dunno how that could be saved......

Perhaps the legs and threading dial could be salvaged for restoration of another machine.....

So sad! :cry:

-brino

EDIT, if you try:
expect every oil passage and bolt hole to be plugged with sand and dirt from wasps
get it inside!!!
coat it fast and every week in a good penetrating oil (I like 50/50 mix of automatic transmission fluid (ATF) and acetone)
let it sit and soak in penetrant for a few months

Last edited:
Back