Is knurling acceptable on a bearing journal.

When I was still working in a machine shop we used to braze weld the shaft and just turn it down to size. Easy job
By knurling the shaft the bearing would seat on a lot of high spots and will eventually wear down after a few bumps and your bearing will be loose again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you all for all your advices, i completely forgot that i have some loctite green bearing glue, i also forgot to mention that this is a easy to find replacement part, they are 2-30$ new. That said i decided to take a chance as i'm reusing the bearings and just do a fine knurling and use some loctite bearing glue, if it fails i'll do the bearing conversion where i'll bore the upright to accept a sealed wheel bearing and never worry about them again, this is one of the common problem spots on this vehicle.

...this is a easy to find replacement part, they are 2-30$ new. That said i decided to take a chance as i'm reusing the bearings and just do a fine knurling...

Mickey Mouse.

, or built up with weld or brazed and then machined to size and concentricity.
+1, I've done that a few times and it worked out better than expected, there's a risk of warping the part but proper temperature setting, small/short beads should take care of that.

I did the repair, the setup was really simple, i grabbed the hub by the wheel centric ring and supported it with a live centre, and used a fine knurling tool and some cutting oil and this is the out come.
IMG_20190419_202139.jpgIMG_20190419_202144.jpgIMG_20190419_203134.jpg

I ran the machine shop in a electric motor repair facility for 20 years. We usually had a couple bearing fits a day to repair. We most always used the spray powder method. Some of the shaft fits were in excess of 8 to 10 inches in diameter. Took a long time to spray the powder on the shaft but if you were good at it you could true the journal up with minimal machine work after the powder cooled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back