Is my plain bearing spindle missing something?

D.sebens

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
This is on a sheldon with plain bearings. The front bearing goes through oil like nobodies business. With no shims I can clamp the spindle so I know I have some life yet in it. I had one .003” on each side and just tried clamping it down with only one of the shims in on one side. The spindle feels nice moving. I’ll have to do a temp check though.

When looking at the bearings there is slots on the sides. I have a parts break down but not a diagram. Are those oil reservoirs or is something supposed to go in them.

I haven’t ran it yet since tightening the gap.

I had the rear off when I changed the belts but I hadn’t ran the machine yet so I didn’t really pay attention to it. I can pull the back one if needed, the front is just easier to do. Also the rear one holds oil like it should.

Attachments

• IMG_2738.jpeg
    IMG_2738.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2737.jpeg
    IMG_2737.jpeg
    223.3 KB · Views: 50
No. There’s a felt pad at the bottom of the journal but no bottom oiler. I assume it’s just a reservoir. Seems like the oil cups stay full until I open them while running then it starts draining. Is this how they work? Are they supposed to have a vacuum to keep them from draining fast?

Or am I supposed to have wicks?

Here’s pictures of the oilers.

Attachments

• IMG_2742.jpeg
    IMG_2742.jpeg
    281.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2739.jpeg
    IMG_2739.jpeg
    335.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2740.jpeg
    IMG_2740.jpeg
    229.1 KB · Views: 16
Yeah those are just a direct type oiler. Put oil in and it goes directly to the bearing.

You could fluff up a bit of felt and put it in there which would slow the oil down, but back in the day those were just oiled a couple times per shift.

Okay. It seems like the oil stays in it as long as I don’t open the cap when it’s running. That seems to really suck the oil down then. Since I tightened the front bearing it doesn’t go through it as fast. I ran it for 20 minutes at 760 rpm and it only warmed up slightly. The back bearing was much cooler. I think I’ll need to remove some shim from the rear. Hopefully that slows down that oil flow. I don’t want to aim for the target temp as it’s in an unconditioned building and wasnt sure it could reach over 100 when the room was 56*.

Still messing with the bronze bearings on my lathe. They go through oil fast and I decided to take it apart again and give better inspection. I’ve had it act like it wanted to stick to the bearing(you hear the machine bog down). Adding oil again fixes this. This is after adding oil but I suspect it wasn’t enough (more on these thoughts later)

This time I cleaned 90% of the varnish on the bearings off. I had it in my mind that cleaning would somehow erode the surface of the bearing and ruin the lathe.

I first cleaned it with some 1200grit wet or dry and wd40. That did good on the surface. Then i took a razor blade and lightly ran it along the surface to ‘scrape’ any burrs in the grooves that have happened over the years. Then I used a brass brush and some engine decarb spray and got most of the varnish off.

My clearances are 1 thou cold(40*F) on front and 3 thou on rear. I dont know if clearances are supposed to be set when warm or cold. I can rotate the headstock with the caps tightened pretty much the same resistance as if the caps were loose.

I haven’t ran it after cleaning as I accidentally ordered 1/2 fhp belts when it was supposed to take 5/8 so since I had it apart again I’m ordering the right belts.

Another thing I looked into and referenced above about not having enough oil. The first time I took it apart I saw there were felt disks in the bottom of the journal. I didn’t remove these as they seemed kind of stuck. I did notice that they didn’t have enough spring to pop above the surface of the journal. They get oiled from the oiler at the top and it fills the felt reservoir that it sits in.
This time I removed the felts, I found them rock hard and suspect they are not transferring oil as they should plus I don’t think they really made contact with the spindle.

I would like to replace the felts they are about 2.5” long on front and about 1” long on rear. Both look to be 5/16”. They have a spring threaded on to the bottom of them. I cleaned them the best I could for now. They got a lot of their natural color back and are much softer now. I also stretched the springs some so they pop up now.

I’ll have to wait for the belts and see how it does now. But I suspect the oil you put in the top oilers isn’t supposed to meter the oil flow, I suspect its to fill the felts and their reservoir at the bottom. I’m hoping after cleaning out the oil will be more stable.

Does anybody know what the felt cylinders would be called so I could order some replacements? I don’t know if they are even a thing anymore?

Sorry for the novel, I tried to keep it short but being as this is new experience stuff for me I tried to add all the info to try and make sure I don’t omit something important.

Back