Is my plain bearing spindle missing something?

My 1941 South Bend had spring loaded wicks that took the oil in the headstock, on both sides, to oil at both bearings at all times as long as you kept oil in the reservoirs.
I don't know how the Sheldon is designed.

So from what I see I think they are similar. Yours are on the bottom right? If I saw correctly you oil them from the bottom horizontal side of the headstock? Mine has the wicks on the bottom but they are closed reservoirs. They do have holes at the top of the reservoir that funnel oil from the top to the bottom. I’m just not sure what they are called in order to replace them.

Here’s a picture of the felts. I think they are F-3 class 5/16 felt cord. All I can find online is 1/4 and 3/8. Even from mcmaster. 3/8 would be way too big and 1/4 is way too small. I’ll just see how these do now.

Attachments

• IMG_2751.jpeg
    IMG_2751.jpeg
    320.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2750.jpeg
    IMG_2750.jpeg
    302.7 KB · Views: 10
That’s what they are. I found out the felt is called felt cord. I just can’t find it in 5/16. I wonder if I search for 8mm since they are the same size?

I thought about that but I think it would hinder its absorption abilities if the pores were smushed.

This manual may help if you do not already have it. See attached. And I found this old address reference for parts, which may not work:
David Heinekamp Customer Service Bourn & Koch Inc
2500 Kishwaukee Street Rockford, IL 61104 Phone 800-553-2263
They are still in business, found them on the web under Bourn & Koch. Might call them tomorrow

Attachments

• _Sheldon_Lathe_Maint_Manual.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I have the maintenance manual already. How’d you find the connection to that place?

Back