Is my torch kit working correctly?

Think I'd open the acetylene bottle a little more as well. Yeah it's low pressure & you don't need to (and shouldn't) have it open very far so it's fast & easy to close if needed, but 1/2 turn may not be cutting it.

I'd go 1.5 turns just to take that out of the equation. Also, with gear sitting around for 20 years it may have connected enough dust to screw with stuff.

I asked about your torch setup b/c of the upper/lower O2 comment & then you don't say anything about adjusting the O2 for your preheat flame after the torch is lit.

Just want to confirm that you're hung up on the acetylene issue & didn't mention that you then adjusted the O2 for your preheat. (B/c you def need to do that! :) )

This is a halfway decent vid that shows the different preheat flames.

Give me a little bit & I'll upload a welding handbook that includes some in depth & practical oxy-fuel cutting info.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I nailed every single thing that guy said. The only difference is my flame is 3" to 4" long instead of 8" long or longer with a #2 tip. I adjust to a neutral flame where the cones stay the same length when I hit the oxygen.

Open fuel tank 1/4 turn, easy to turn ff.

Set fuel regulation to 12 to 15 PSI

Open oxy fully.

Set regulator to maybe 15 to 20 to start.

Adjust flame ontol smoke just stops.

Add O2 until nice blue flame, bottom still attached to tip.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I think I figured it out and why I had better results with more Acetylene.

Victor tip chart probably.
cutting-torch-tip-chart.jpg

Harris tip chart. Mine uses Harris tips.

Harris-Cut-Chart-1.jpg

This might explain why I was frustrated using the first chart settings.

Back