Is There Anywhere To Trade Tools?

Scoutdawg

Registered
Registered
Okay so I was gifted some very nice tools and am very appreciative. The only problem is that they are 1''. I have an Atlas 618. Is there anywhere that would do some trading for them for smaller items I can use on my lathe? Thanks for any and all help.
The tools are Sandvik 1'' Turning Insert Tool Holder, and Sandvik 1'' Grooving Tool Holder

Hi Scoutdawg,

I count myself lucky to have a local used tool place that will take used tools for a decent trade-in value.
I find asking for store credit better than asking for cash, it gives them a little more "wiggle room" to still make a profit.
They always have something I want!
They are also my local King dealer for new tools.

Hopefully someone here can help with an equivalent suitably local place for you.

Good Luck.
-brino

much appreciated, I will try and call around to a few places tomorrow

I made some huge Kennametal insert tools into freestanding tool posts for some German automatic turret lathes by cutting the bottom off the tools to the centerline of the metric lathes. Bonus was the inserts that were very big seemed to last longer because they were so ridgid . I just drilled thru the tools and bolted them to the cross slide and they were always on center. So I think you could cut the bottoms off the tools too the centerline of the Atlas and use the tools you have.
jimsehr

....snip.... So I think you could cut the bottoms off the tools too the centerline of the Atlas and use the tools you have.
jimsehr
An Atlas 618 lathe doesn't stand a chance to 1" square tools cut down. You will be very lucky to use 1/4" IC inserted tools on this size of lathe.

I can use your 1 in square tooling. What would you like in return? Or sell them out right? Probably best to PM me I still have a hard time finding my way around on the web site.

Tim

An Atlas 618 lathe doesn't stand a chance to 1" square tools cut down. You will be very lucky to use 1/4" IC inserted tools on this size of lathe.
4gsr
I googled the centerline of an Atlas 618 and was told it was .783 centerline. If that is so then you take .217 stock off the bottom of the 1 inch tool and end up with a tool where the center line is .783 high . Then you drill a 1/2 inch hole thru tool and bolt tool to cross slide and you end up with a new tool post where the insert centerline is .783 high.
jimsehr

so to use these on my own lathe, I would need to just bolt it down to the carrige? After doing the work on the tool that is. Any way to make this adjustable? I may just sell these and get something smaller for my lathe.

so to use these on my own lathe, I would need to just bolt it down to the carrige? After doing the work on the tool that is. Any way to make this adjustable? I may just sell these and get something smaller for my lathe.
Once you have cut the top of the insert tool to the lathe centerline they will always be on center for that lathe. That makes it great for set ups because you never need to use shims on that lathe. And you could use it on a bigger lathe if that lathe tool post would take the tool. Many times I have cut 1 inch insert tools down to 3/4 inch height to use in smaller lathes tool holders.
jimsehr

9de173a7d4e19d6114d120d5031dbdd3.jpg

I think there is a possibility that if I want to drill a hole in the tool holder I can bolt it directly to the carriage with a T nut to fit in the slot just like the quick change tool post holder does. Can't see it the best in this pic but it lines up perfectly with the live center on the other side

Sent from my LG-D959 using Tapatalk

Back