Is There Anywhere To Trade Tools?

Just an FYI so you don't get frustrated. Inserts designed for 1" tool holders are for 20" and up lathes removing mas amounts of material off. and don't do very well on light cuts.

Where did you get that info?
jimsehr

Where did you get that info?
jimsehr

Using that tool he has on a 26" lathe. it cuts nice at .250 at a high rate. But If I have to sneak up on a size the finish will suck I use a brazed carbide tool honed sharp for finish cuts.

Just an FYI so you don't get frustrated. Inserts designed for 1" tool holders are for 20" and up lathes removing mas amounts of material off. and don't do very well on light cuts.

Not so much the shank size. You have to look at the insert size, too. I've taken several 1" sq holders and wacked them down to 5/8" sq or there about to use on my 13" lathe.
My rule of thumb on insert size 1/4" IC for any lathe up to 9" lathe like my 9" SBL. 3/8" IC insert size for any lathe 9" and larger. 1/2" IC insert for lathes 16" swing heavy duty and larger. Any insert sizes larger than this don't belong in the H-M shop unless he has a mean 10 HP plus lathe in his shop! Just my two bits worth....

4gsr
Yes I should of worded it a little better. That tool has a 1/2"IC trigon insert witch won't do well on a 618. Your insert sizes is pretty much what I go by also.

Back