Is This a SB Heavy 10?

Some of the later 9A's came with the fast change tumbler.
1532991201585.jpeg

I don’t know guys. It’s not a 10k unless it has the wrong tailstock, not just the color it the shape. They are different between the 9 and the 10K. It looks like a later model 9a cabinet model with the more desirable large dials.

Here is a pic of my old 10K. Note the different tail stock. IMG_4841.JPG

Last edited:
I retract my previous guess and defer to the last two posters. ;-)

I really like that under drive setup.

K

LOL now I'm confused... I've never seen a 9A with a headstock that looks like this one for sale. Maybe I've only seen older 9A's.

So, the later 9A and the 10k had a headstock that looks similar?

I noticed the lathe and cabinet seem to be different colors too - did they come that way, or is this thing some sort of hybrid beast?

The under drive 9's (I think they called them "Floor Lathes") head stocks look like a 10k. It's kind of odd how SB had so many variations in such a small segment.

K

Contact the seller and ask for info on brass tag on gearbox..then you'll know for sure..

I don’t know guys. It’s not a 10k unless it has the wrong tailstock, not just the color it the shape. They are different between the 9 and the 10K. It looks like a later model 9a cabinet model with the more desirable large dials.

Here is a pic of my old 10K. Note the different tail stock. View attachment 273027

My heavy 10's tailstock is very different from my friends heavy 10's tailstock...... Your 10k look like a later model, the one in the ad probably has a serial number without letters.... The drip tray is cast on that machine yours is sheet metal.... Southbend made a ton of different parts for their machines and every year looked a little bit different, but they all fit each other almost perfectly!

Well, thanks for all the information! I called, asked a bunch of questions, the guy didn't really seem to know exactly what he had. Got him to send some pictures (he seemed to have trouble getting good focus... maybe a reason for that?). The condition of the ways near the headstock has turned me off to pursuing this one. Looks like chucks, work pieces, etc have been dropped on them, more than once or twice - tops of the Vs look dented up.

Back