Is this about the going rate for steel these days?

WobblyHand

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Just priced out some 1" x 5" hot rolled flat steel. Need a 24" piece for a project. Called a local steel place. $47.40 for a flame cut piece. Figured that would be fine, since I only really need 14" for this project. That's about $1.39/lb. Wondering if that's a pretty typical rate for a small order. 1"x5" is 17 lbs/foot according to their docs. Might buy a longer piece if they have it.

It's been a while since I have torch cut, about how wide is the HAZ for a typical cut through 1"?

They also have a drops area that they let you go though. I will look through there first, maybe there's something interesting there.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me considering the flame cutting. I would expect more.
The place asked if flame cutting was ok for me. There is some waste due to the Heat Affected Zone (HAZ). They said the saw was backed up a day or two. Honestly, I thought $1.39/lb wasn't far out of line, especially for such a small order. This will be a cash buy, without an account. Maybe it does make sense to open an account since I do need to buy materials for a new lathe stand this fall. I'd like to make an improved and more rigid stand.

I paid $30 CDN for a 12" length of 2.5" hot rolled A44.

I paid $30 CDN for a 12" length of 2.5" hot rolled A44.
Out of curiosity, what was the price per lb or kg? Hot rolled 2.5" square? 21.25 lbs/foot?

$30 CDN / 21.25 lbs = $1.412 CDN / lb = $1.09 USD / lb
That's pretty good.

Out of curiosity, what was the price per lb or kg? Hot rolled 2.5" square? 21.25 lbs/foot?

$30 CDN / 21.25 lbs = $1.412 CDN / lb = $1.09 USD / lb
That's pretty good.
Sorry it was round stock. I expect it was lbs, only because the place is pretty old school and I don't think they do metric :)
I was pleasantly surprised by the price. I expected $40+
Edit: @WobblyHand I found the bill. It was sold by the ft.

Last edited:
Sorry it was round stock. I expect it was lbs, only because the place is pretty old school and I don't think they do metric :)
I was pleasantly surprised by the price. I expected $40+
Ahh, not as good. Then $30 CDN / 16.6898 lbs = $1.80 CDN / lb = $1.39 USD / lb.
Same as what I paid! Interesting.

Ahh, not as good. Then $30 CDN / 16.6898 lbs = $1.80 CDN / lb = $1.39 USD / lb.
Same as what I paid! Interesting.
What's interesting to me is that I live on an island so it has to get here via ferry which adds cost so in theory it should be more expensive.

Buying from my local place is a lot cheaper than trying online. Just checked Midwest Steel $62.85 for 1x5x24. And I have to add shipping. Other places I checked were even higher.

Since it's hot-rolled, the HAZ should be limited to the actual cut, which may be hardened. Beyond that, there's not enough carbon content to cause any problems.

Back