Is this about the going rate for steel these days?

That's about $1.39/lb. Wondering if that's a pretty typical rate for a small order.

Two weeks ago at work we gave that full sticks in some shapes that are usually (slightly) cheaper than the thicker bars. I'm not OK with that price (or mine), but it is what it is, and it certainly doesn't seem out of line.

It's been a while since I have torch cut, about how wide is the HAZ for a typical cut through 1"?

On hot rolled, it's essentiallly zero. If you make it shiny, you're good.

They also have a drops area that they let you go though. I will look through there first, maybe there's something interesting there.

Take that opportunity while you have it. We lost our "drops" pile years ago. Too many people causing too many headaches.

It’s $1.50-$2 for steel drops around here, so that would be a good price to get the size you actually need.

I'm still trying to figure out how the price of raw material exceeds the price of the finished product in many cases.

I'm still trying to figure out how the price of raw material exceeds the price of the finished product in many cases.
Because the only people who haven't raised their prices are the employees doing the labor!

Got back from the local (45 minutes one way) steel yard. Got nearly everything I was looking for in the drops area plus various random pieces, just in case. Bought 237 lbs of steel for $0.75/lb. There's a graduated scale for price per lb. 200 lbs+ qualifies for the 75 cent/pound rate. They have multiple scales. You just load the scale with what you are buying and go into the office and pay. The pictures show the small haul of the day.

The drop area is DIY - you provide the labor. No cutting. But I'm good with it. They didn't have what I would call any solid drops, like solid rectangular stock or even square, or rounds. But lots of plate, and C channel and I beams and angles and hollow rectangular stuff. Enough pieces of the rectangular to make a lathe stand easily. They also had pieces of steel sheet in usable sizes. Once I design my lathe stand, I'll pick through the pile there.

The aluminum drops were priced at $4.00, which comparatively speaking didn't feel like a bargain. I put some 1/2" plate on the scale and decided I didn't want to pay $90 for what seemed like not so much aluminum. 1/2" was the thickest they had, I was looking for 1" thick. I don't know the price of aluminum, maybe it is a good price. They had plenty of aluminum diamond plate. Thought about grabbing some for mill table covers, but passed on it. Maybe next time.
PXL_20220819_151459764.jpgPXL_20220819_151521955.jpg
Was a nice morning. I did come home a little broke, but happy. Would have bought more, but forgot to bring some more cash. That won't happen next time.

Back